Conflict between two employee's

I have two employee's that just don't get along.  One is a teamleader and the other a technician on an assembly line.  Both have very strong personalities. If it is work related they speak.  If not, they do not speak. Which is fine in my opionion, but it has gotten to the point where even when it is work related they do not see eye to eye.  They both have asked for a meeting with a HR Mediator so they can discuss their differences.  We all know that these meetings can go one of two ways.  Good or bad.  I am not looking forward to this meeting.  I have had several of these types of meetings  before, only I have always been sucessful with the outcome.  This one I feel is not going to be good.  Any suggestions.  Management believes HR and Production is spending way to much time on these two individuals.   

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote user="ctwilson"]

This one I feel is not going to be good.  Any suggestions.   

[/quote]

My first suggestion is that you need to adjust your thinking before the meeting.  If you come across as it being hopless, then they too will think that it is hopless.  Is there a possibility of the technician moving to a different team?  This is not always the best solution, but it can help relevie the tension.  If not, then I would focus on what they think the root problem is and suggest ways to fix it.  They dont have to be the best of friends, but they do need to work together.  Good Luck!

• You can also try some Third Way Solution work with them.  Ask each to list out their needs that are not being met.  Make sure that they keep to the needs and not feelings.  Feelings are usually because an underlying need is not being met.  For example the tech's need to be understood is not being met by the team leader and the team leader's need for respect is not being met by the tech.  Then discuss a new solution to the problem that meets both of their needs while not compromising the others.  I think once that they can see that their needs are not that dissimilar they will be able to empathize with the other person.  I hope that helps.  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
  • Great - Thank you so much. I have to say I agree with everything that you mention.  I came up with a set of rules for the meeting.   I feel confident that the meeting will go well.  Much better than when I orginally wrote the note. 
  • Glad to hear it.    Since you have experince doing this, I'm sure that you can bring these two around too.  I would love to hear the outcome.
  • I would ask both of them to list what they believe the problems are.  And a solution on how to correct it.  And what is the final outcome they want. 

This way you'll be able to have a more productive meeting with somewhat of an agenda.  Stay on topic.  Don't let them start tearing into each other which is unproductive.

If the meeting begins to deteriorate either take a time out or reschedule for the meeting to be finished later in the week. 

Good luck,

• I'm going to play a little devil's advocate here.  Only you know the small details and nuances of the situation that can tell you how to handle this.

I would just tell them to cut out the malarky and get their tushies back to work.    [8o|]

In other words, management may be right even if they're not sure why they're right or haven't said it.  People make a big deal out of what you make a big deal out of.  By taking this to a big mediation session after probably countless episodes of counseling and refereeing, it's as big a deal as it can be and who wouldn't want to be a part of that?

I have what I think is pretty good training in mediation and I've done a fair amount of it.  I think that Pam has said exactly the right things from a mediation perspective.  If mediation is the correct process, then follow Pam's advice because it's good advice.  But before you decide that mediation is the right thing ask yourself if they need mediation or if they need a reality check about their behavior.  I can think of numerous times in which I have had two people in my office who could not get along and, after listening to them talk about it at great length, I would summarize the problem for them and it is shocking how often the statement of the problem shows them how trivial the whole thing is.  I don't know if your situation is trivial or not.  I don't know the history or the authority of the players or the value of the employees to your Company.  What I do know is that often times these things can turn out to be trivial at heart and it is possible to actually institutionalize a problem in your work place by legitimizing it through use of an overly formal process intended to dissipate the problem rather than justify it.  Make sure the problem is really real and really matters before you use the power tools of conflict resolution.