Incentive Programs for Non-Sales Employees

I have been given a project to find an incentive program for our hourly, non-sales employee's. There are only 6 of us in that category as the rest of the company is in Retail Sales or Executive/Management levels. We cannot think of anything after putting our heads together. We even called in "an expert" and it turned out to be a big waste of time as he had no ideas either. Does anyone have any kind of incentive plan which doesn't tie into sales numbers? We have 4 people in Accounting, one Office Supervisor & me - Human Resources (also back-up for A/R).

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Each year my company sets down with all the non-sales staff and sets goals for the year.  For example an HR goals could be to start a company wide newsletter, explore new software options etc.  Usually each employee sets 5 goals for the year and their incentives are based on completion of the goals.  We do ours yearly, but it would not be difficult to break the goals up on a quarterly basis if you dont want to wait a full year.  Another accounting type goal we have set is having a consistant vendor check run each month.  So the goals don't always need to be seen as extra work. 

This way employees get to have a say in the direction of thier carrer and maybe the opprotunity to learn something new, which is a benefit to the company and the employee. 

• I am Finance/HR Manager.  My goals this year are based on 1) Collections - how many accounts that do not go over 60 days; 2) Turnover - how many positions are vacant and for what length of time; 3) Money savings - What changes can I effect to save or gain money for the company.

• We are a sales company and we provide the bulk of at-risk compensation on a sales-performance basis even to non-sales staff.  It keeps everyone focused on production and it's easy to measure and track.  However, the downside is that when HR or other admin finds new efficiencies (e.g., better HRIS/Payroll implementation) or rolls out new programs with the same staff to better serve internal customers (e.g., news letter, team building programs, etc.), there is no benefit to the department for their hard work.  Personally, I don't think this is the best model, but I'm posting it here just so you know that there are companies that do this.  It's not bad, but it's not best.