Domestic violence

What's the best way to deal with a victim of domestic violence whe she is one of your employees?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Refer the employee to your EAP; if you don't have one provide them with a list of community resources. Consider getting a restraining order if the violent party may show up at the workplace. Hire more security. Offer the victim a flexible work schedule or leave of absence if that will help.
  • I like to get a picture of the offending individual for people who walk the grounds or monitor doors.
  • You'll also want to see if your state has any law requiring you to provide leave to crime victims or victims of domestic violence for certain reasons, for isntance, to go to court or seek help.
  • I had an employee a few years back that was in this situation with her significant other - here's what we did:

• Allowed her to work a flexible schedule in order to go to court; also when she went to the doctor and got an RO.
    • Gave her EAP information so she could seek counseling, also using a flex schedule for such
    • Since we were in a secured building which required access badges, we notified the security guards, with his picture, so he didn't gain access to the building
    • offered to have the guards walk her to her car on any occasion she wanted it.

• Good info above.  Illinois has VESSA - which is specifically targeted to assist victims of domestic violence.  Also...give the person

1-800-799-SAFE, it is the national domestic abuse hotline.  

website www.hdvh.org

There's good info there for HR professionals as well. 

• Great suggestions.  We also had a similar problem.  I know it's an inconvenience, but we also changed the employee's extension number because her ex was calling her dozens of times a day.  Only people who had to contact her were made aware of her new extension. We also took her off the automatic forward (first 3 letters of last name) on the phone system.
  • We had a situation at our company as well.  We locked our doors and gave all of our employees keycards to get into the office.  We told all of our employees it was for their protection since we are in an office building with other companies and anyone could try come into our office during business hours. They were all happy about this.  Also the employee gave me permission to give the phone number to our receptionist so that she would not transfer any calls from the person (we have caller id on our phone system).
  • All of the above are good suggestions.  We had a situation like this at work and I actually would walk the employee to the Subway each day after work until she felt comfortable.

Ken

• I agree with a lot of the other posters here. 

Also check your state regs, they may have laws on the books that require time off.  FL just implemented a law to that effect.

• Some states also allow leave for victims of domestic violence, to get court orders of protection, to go to court for related reasons, or to seek counseling or medical care. Check with your state law to see if you are required to give leave for any of those purposes.