Thug 4 Lyfe...

What are your thoughts on...

1. Upon seeing an applicant, you notice their demeanor is juvenile, ie. Baggy jeans, cocky walk, etc.

2. Upon seeing an applicant, you notice they come to apply with their friends.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My thoughts are that this applicant has not been educated on proper workplace or applicant attire.  Depending on the job, I would not hold that against him or her, attributing their attire decision to personal culture and background.

I would judge the potential employee based on the content of the filled out application and if an interview ensues, use it an opportunity to educate them on what is proper workplace culture and attire.

They may not get the job depending on the qualifications but they leave with a tool for success at future openings if they heed the professional advice.

As for the friends, I would ask in a friendly tone if they are applying also or just around for moral support.[:)]

James

• Hey, see the thread "Applicant with Beer Can Necktie"
  • I noticed on one of your other posts that you were staffing for a housekeeping company. As such, you should probably consider doing background/criminal checks on employees. This may be limited by state law and reasonableness -- i.e., relationship to the job. However, with housekeeping and access to customer/guests personal belongings, it would most likely be justified.

I do not think that you can "tell a book by its cover", so baggy jeans and a cocky walk mean nothing to me. Bringing in friends is immature, but with a little experience in the workworld, we all become more mature. What should matter is experience, what the person actually shows to you in the interview, and the result of a background/criminal check. Good luck.

• My personal opinion is that someone should show respect for a workplace and come dressed decently to an interview. But this is only one aspect of the impression made - there is also their skills, experience, education, etc. Showing such a casualness at an interview might indicate how seriously they will take the job.