HR Department Size

How do I calculate the amount of employees needed to effectively carryout the duties of an HR Department. We have over 200 employees and I AM HR!

How many do I need?

What are there titles?

What are their Job Descriptions?

-Jimmy Perez

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The rule of thumb that I've always heard is one HR person for every 75 employees.  Sounds like you need some help.  Of course it depends on what you're being asked to do.  Currently, we have titles like HR Manager, Risk and Safety Manager, Payroll Coordinator, Recruiter, HR Coordinator.  Of course, at my division, I'm it.  Good luck.

• Agree with srallen that it depends on YOUR job description.  I am the Finance/HR Manager for two corporations (owned by the same parent corporation).  Currently, I only have about 85 employees, but at one time I had 250 employees. 

For example, my job description includes all finances, all HR and all payroll for the two companies.  Even though I only have 85 employees, I cannot possibly do all that work by myself.  If I only had HR and payroll, then it would be very possible because we have good policies and managers who manage their own employees and only call me when they need assistance/back-up. And, by the way, my only assistant is one who was hired to answer phones, do data entry, distribute mail, etc.

• Welcome to my world!!  I support 3 companies for a total of about 180 - 200 employees, and they have never had an HR department!  We have a PEO that handles payroll and benefits, and that is it.  I am in the process of building the HR department and implementing policies/procedures that are non-existant.  Normally you would have 3 - 4 HR staff for that many employees.  A manager/director, generalist and/or recruiter and an admin.
  • I support 2 companies at 3 sites in 2 states.  There's me, 2 recruiters, a payroll coordinator, and an office manager who supervises two receptionists that do light clerical work.  The payroll coordinator also handles attendance administration and we are considering bringing a benefits administrator on board.