Sponsorships of Recreational Sports Teams

For years our company has sponsored a men's softball team. Registration fees, tourney fees, shirts, including for the "ringers" since we can't seem to field a full team.  Over the years several women have asked if they could play and the VP always says no - if they want to get a women's or coed team together that's fine "as long as it's open to everybody."  (Can you spell double standard?  Discr...) Trouble is of course there are not enough women to do this and the men are already on the guys' team.  Now some people have started a co-ed volleyball team and the VP is saying we need a "policy" before sponsoring any new teams.  

Who would have thought we'd need a policy for this - but does anyone happen to have one?    THANKS!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't have a policy, but I'd be concerned about this "men-only" softball team. It seems to be perpetuating and "old boys club" to me - and there have been lawsuits about it. Especially since in your case it's coming rignt from the VP. I'd try to convince him to allow whoever wants to be on the company team to do so.
  • no policy here but i recommend that your company limit sponsorship to teams that are inclusive.  the co-ed volleyball team is a good start. one of the problems of a men only league is that it denies women access to the networking and teambuilding opportunities that go along with it.
  • Yes, you need a policy and not just because of sexual discrimination.

You should have a policy that says that participation is voluntary and players are generally not eligible for workers' compensation if they are injured while playing. You may also want company counsel to draw up a release for this purpose.

Because the activity is voluntary, employees should report to HR if they feel pressured into playing.

State that while players are representing the company on the team, they are to follow company policies on alcohol and drugs, illegal activities, violence, sexual harassment, etc.

You can add that teams are open to players of both genders.  However, if your team participates in a formalized industrial or community league, you may have to run this by the league officials.

• Thanks. Lot of good things to think about - the workers comp and pressure to play never occurred to me.