conflict between law and industry standards

I hope someone here can help with a tricky problem.
I work for a major government Ministry (I've mentioned its name here before, but it keeps on getting censored by the mods, or should I say M.O.Ds?) and it is my team's role to produce the documents which are published by the dept and then put on public record. Specifically, it is my job to ensure the factual accuracy of each piece of data included in these publications.
Occasionally, because of the layout of these documents, it is necessary for blank pages to be included. I have a new editor, however, who insists on writing "this page has intentionally been left blank" on the blank pages. He insists that it is standard industry practice to include such notices - they make it clear that the blank page is not a printing error. However they constitute blatant factual inaccuracies, as the page is no longer blank. My assistant, Monsieur Passepartout, suggested amending the notice to "this hitherto blank page was temporarily left so intentionally" for which he received a curt verbal discourtesy.
Anyway, the editor has industry standards on his side, I have a clear (if inflexible) government mandate on mine. Whose side would the law be on if I was to sack or discipline this person? Or can anyone suggest a less confontational way of solving this?