Dual Job Descriptions

I work for a small private investment company.  One of the perks is that we all wear several hats, but I'm sure that's everywhere.  Well these particular hats have no relation to one another.  For example, there is an employee who processes security trading.  This is done majority of the time.  In addition she does accounting for the company.  So I was wondering how would you write this job description?  Is there such a thing as a dual job description? 

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • That is an interesting idea. But, my gut is to write the description as a security trading processor, with all of the job's essential functions pertaining to the processing part of the job, and then describing the accounting function in the "other responsibilities" section. This would be especially important if 90% of the emploeye's time is spent doing "exempt" type work and only 10% is spent doing work which would be considered "non-exempt".
  • With more and more companies streamline work processes and reduce manpower cost, it seems that duo job roles and even more are quite common in the current corporate world. For my company, we will include all job performed in a JD and indicate each and every if it is 'Primary role' or 'Secondary role'.