Crocs at Work?

We don't allow flip-flops at work. What do you think about banning crocs too? We work in an office environment.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Depends on the type of office environment.  If you have a professional attire required office environment then I would say that yes crocks should be banned.  In that case I would specify that appropriate professional attire is required, including dress shoes.  That also means that sandals, deck shoes, etc. would be banned as well.  I have been this route before and it is difficult, because then you get questions like what about open toe high heels or backless heels (that some people call dress shoes and some call sandals). 
  • Flip flops expose the toes and entire foot, have a thin sole, and are extremely casual. 

Think if you ban Crocs, which have a closed top (well with the Swiss-chees holes), you might have to ban all types of sandals (Birkies, Teva, etc.).

Actually, I am just trying to justify keeping Crocs in the workplace because I LOVE mine--so comfortable!

• I think the wearing of Crocs goes with the wearing of shorts and other casual summer fare.  It depends on what type of industry and office setting you are in.  If you are in a more formal environment, employees can wear Crocs to and from work and change into more appropriate footwear in the office.

Also, I don't think Crocs or any casual shoe, such as sneakers, flip flops, or casual sandals, should be worn to meetings with clients, etc. 

• Hey, I'd rather drop a stapler on my Croc-d foot than when wearing my flip flops--ha!

We don't allow open toed shoes on our shop floor or in the warehouse for safety reasons, so we put in our dress code policy that they aren't allowed in the company.  Nobody has worn Crocs to work--yet.

• I think it depends on the office, some are very casual, some strictly business, and many in the middle of casual and strictly business.  What is the reason that you would like to ban crocs?  Flip flops must be banned for a reason, does the same reason hold true for crocs?  If I were you I would look at the dress code policy and see if banning crocs fits into the policy guidelines.
  • I heard that crocs have been banned at some hospitals because they generate static electricity that interferes with the equipment used.  If that's true I think a lot of health care professionals may have to leave their crocs at home.
  • I am beginning to think that crocs should be banned everywhere except the garden (or on a boat).
  • We do not allow flip-flops or open-toed shoes without nylons or some other covering.  There was an article about crocs in the paper today and the danger associated with them.  We will not allow them in an office environment because they are too informal, even for casual days.
  • I agree that it depends on the formality of the office. If people are expected to wear business attire, obviously Crocs don't fit. But I also agree that unless there's a good reason, you are opening a whole can of worms about exactly what kind of footwear is permissible.  If  it 's only one person wearing them, you might want to try just taking her aside and suggesting that her shoes are too informal for the workplace, even if your policy doesn't ban it.
  • As a Consultant, I see various dress code policies. Some policies are very specific as to what you can wear, including shoes. I was HR Director for a large company for 20 years and the biggest problem I had with dress code policies was the enforcement of the policy. I think that the size of company and the corporate culture affect your policies and procedures at your workplace.

Crocs at work? I feel that high heeled shoes/platform shoes may be more "dangerous" than Crocs in the workplace.  I personally own "Crocs" and they are easy to walk in and do not feel any danger associated with wearing them.

• Why do you want to ban them?

Do you think they look too casual?

What is the amount of time one is on their feet?

What kind of office?

Are there lots of clients coming in?

Is it the causual look you object to?

We ended up in one office putting a comittee together, they made dress code suggestions. Then Exec approved or rejected. It worked well.

• Looks like Croc's rival, Skechers, is solving the problem with the holes by coming out with hole-less Croc ripoffs that they are selling as "Scrub Wear" for healthcare facilities.