MySpace v FaceBook

My son told me this weekend that if I plan to use a social website for looking up applicants, I should use MySpace for nonexempts and FaceBook for managers and execs. 

Has anyone heard anything like this?  I haven't been on either site, but was considering it.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I had never heard of this theory before and I am not an expert on either website ... but I would tend to disagree with the theory.  Up until recently you needed to have an email address from a high school or university to sign up for FaceBook.  The rules are changed now and everyone can sign up.  But how many experienced managers and executives are you going to find on a website that was restricted for so long?  I think the demographics for both websites are changing, but right now I would say they both trend strongly toward younger demographics.
  • I heard a story about this on NPR yesterday. Apparently, the sense is that because a university email was required to sign up, FaceBook had a more highly educated, professional membership. Even though the restrictions have been removed, the story suggested it still had this reputation. It would seem that it could be a better option for college and graduate program recruiting. However, I really haven't used either site to any significant degree for recruiting purposes.
  • I wonder if people think that it's really fair to screen candidates this way? On one hand, it can give you insight into who someone is but on the other...it seems to be a way to judge someone for their out of work behavior...seems to be almost the same as  judging an applicant because he or she goes to certain parties or likes certain music. what di you all think?
  • I would guess that Miss. New Jersey would have somthing to say about using Facebook to screen applicants...photographs taken from her page on the site almost cost her the crown. I hope this is a message to people about posting things they want to keep private on the Internet. Once it's in the public, anyone, including an employer, might have access.
  • I just made my myspace only public to people who are listed as friends in my profile. 
  • I have used Myspace as a tool for the past couple years, and it has been very valuable in screening applicants. Facebook, though popular, is still trying to gain momentum. It couldn't hurt to look someone up on Facebook. Also, to make efficient use of the Facebook website, it requires a little more than common sense, so if they ARE on Facebook, thats a small(tiny) plus.
  • There are social networking forums like this for practically any skill, edicuation or job type you can imagine. The problem is that if you contact a person directly after seeing his or her page, it may surprise them or be unwelcome. I think that people on social sites are predominantly there for non-work reasons and an professional contact may surprise them. Some may welcome it, but some may be put off by it. 
  • On HR.BLR.com, we recently had an article about how job boards have adopted some of the popular features of MySpace and Facebook. One job board allows job seekers to make their Instant Message available to employers. Another allows employers to post a video of their workplace.

You can read the article at: http://hr.blr.com/news.aspx?id=77037

The article is available to everyone.

• As a new grad and an HR professional, there are good and bad points to Facebook/MySpace.  They were both designed as a social network for this generation and I don't think that should be muddied up by employers trying to get "secret" information on them.  I have a facebook page that I keep open only to my friends and that seems to be just fine.

On the other hand as a professional, I find them extremely interesting to look at, but not all that helpful.  What are you going to do?  Not hire someone because they drink on the weekends?  Or play golf?  I can understand representing the company in a good light and making sure none of your employees ever discuss business matters on these sites (i.e. that customer was so rude blah blah).  But the original idea was for this to be a social network for people and it is priceless in that sense.  I moved far away from my college friends and this is a great way to keep in contact.  I shouldn't have to be worried that an employer is going to be scrounging for information about me.  If they can't get it in an interview and other pre-hire tools, they won't get it there.

In addition, it could be a good tool to advertise a job on as well.  If you are looking for college or recent grads, they have an awesome deal where you can post flyers for VERY cheap to get your name out there.  Kinda cool...

• Nor have I heard of the distinction between the two sites.  I just avoid both of them - although I find it interesting to google a person's name to see what comes up.  I google my name and actually found a listing to a job that I haven't had in two years.  I use to tell my students that they must use better judgment using the Internet for once there it is difficult to get rid of.  Hopefully more people will use more discretion in their actions and their postings.

Not sure that I would used this extreme to look for candidates.  Also wonder how prevalent and successful this method is.

Good luck IrisD

• I have not used either of these places to look for applicants and I am not sure that it is something that I would plan to practice.  However, I have been using craigslist.org and have had incredible success.   It is free and it is a very popular site.