Is Kissing Acceptable at Work?

I recently had the interesting experience of a customer coming up to me at work and attempting to give me a kiss on the cheek.  Is this acceptable nowadays at work? 

I used to do some consulting in Europe and people were always greeting one another with a kiss on each cheek...it is the norm over there and no one thinks twice about it.  However, are we that forward-thinking here in the US?  Is this even allowed at work?  I had no idea how to handle it, and ended up doing a little bob-and-weave action to avoid the guy.  I didn't want to offend him, for fear of losing his business, but at the same time, I didn't feel comfortable with him getting so close into my personal space?  Any ideas?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • you could try a preemptive move, such as sticking out your hand for a handshake whenever he approaches.  the move will literally keep him at arm's length. you could also casually mention that it is unusual for someone in the united states to greet a business acquaintance with a kiss.
  • On the one hand, many people have endured a lot worse behavior than an unwanted kiss on the cheek from customers in order to not offend them or lose their business. 

Also, I wonder  how other people he is greeting are handling the same thing?  Does he greet both men and women this way?  Just women?  Are you the only one who bobbed and weaved to avoid him?

Then again, since the kissing really make you feel uncomfortable (and that's most important), I'd  think most people would get the message when you actually made moves to avoid his kiss the last time.  If not, sticking out the hand as regdunlop suggested would probably be best, assuming he's only attempting to kiss females.

• Hey, if he's only attempting to kiss females, wouldn't that be discriminatory?
  • In light of the news of quarantine and the potential for pandemic flu, I think kissing is definitely a no no; if there is a pandemic, hand shakes will also be out.
  • In the US business arena, it is not customary to kiss people in greeting, so he will have to learn our customs. Think of it as doing him a favor - you might save his career if he does this to the wrong person! I would definitely use the handshake maneuver!
  • I agree with Ruth. I'm sure he's not doing this with the intent to be offensive, it's just not custom in the US. And his employer can get into alot of trouble!!