Giving gifts to your boss

What do you think the proper etiquette is when it comes to giving gifts at work - for example holiday or birthday gifts? Should you or should you not? What about to your boss? What if someone gives you a gift, then do you need to go get them one - even though it is after the fact? What about creating a "no gift" policy at the workplace?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think it's OK for gifts to go from boss to subordinate but not from subordinate to boss. If someone gives you a gift but you haven't gotten them a gift, I think a simple thank you card would show your appreication.  You may want to add that person to your list for when you go shopping next year.
  • If there is an occassion where a gift is in order for a manager or supervisor (wedding, birth of baby, etc.), then a group gift is appropriate, on a voluntary basis of course. 

We use an envelope to collect money and a separate card to sign (with or without making donation).

• I agree w/ Bev. For holidays, it may solve the problem to do a grab bag with a price limit so that people don't feel pressured to spend alot of money or have to worry about who to buy for or huring anyone's feelings.