Office Romance

We do not have a poilcy on dating between co-workers. However, we are considering it. There are a few employees who are dating in our workplace currently. Although they manage their relationships-- professional and personal -- very well, we are concerned about what happens when (or if) a relationship fails.

Any thoughts on implementing a policy on workplace dating -- especially when employees are already dating?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It probably would be hard to prohibit office romances between co-workers. I think that the real problems arise when a manager begins dating a subordinate, making for possible sexual harassment and favoritism claims. It may be a good idea for you to adopt a policy where these types of manager-subordinate relationships are not allowed.
  • Your policy could say something like:

Dating between employees is not prohibited, but not should affect employee performance or the workplace environment. Physical contact that could be deemed private and inappropriate in a workplace setting is prohibited on company premises, whether during working hours or not.  Employees are cautioned that workplace dating relationships can lead to awkward situations, including complaints of sexual harassment, especially if the relationship does not begin or end with mutual consent.

If a consensual intimate relationship develops between a supervisor or manager and an employee in his or her direct line of responsibility should develop, it is the superior's responsibility to bring the relationship to the attention of upper management, which will work with the parties involved to consider options, such as transfers, to avoid a conflict of interest or other problems.

• The "slippery slope" here is trying to put in writing any kind of controls around perfectly legal relationships which coincidentally happen in the workplace.  When we try to say anything, we invariably say the wrong thing, or what we say is interpreted in ways we never intended.  If we are going to put controls on romantic relationships and tell employees that these cannot affect their work, how is it not different to tell any two friends that their relationship cannot affect the workplace?

I fully agree with placing limits on superior-subordinate relationships.  I'd leave the rest alone.  We cannot manage all interpersonal relationships and we usually get in trouble when we try.  If we stick to those things into which our noses should be inserted, our lives and the lives of our employees will be much better.

My 2-cents worth.

• Thanks - these responses have been very helpful!

HR410