Background screens

Hi there, I have a question about when it is and when it may not be appropriate to run a criminal background screen

I have a manager that would like to screen, with their authorization, several candidates for a position. Normally, our policy stipulates that we only run the background screens on individuals after a contingent offer of employment is made. Is it safe to run the screens prior to an offer?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What is his legitimate business purpose? Frankly, I can't imagine one. I think you are setting yourself up for a discimination claim if you run checks (not to mention the waste of resources) before you are ready to hire. Select the best person for the job and make them an offer contingent upon a background check. All you need such a check for anyway is to see if there is any reason why hiring them (ie, someone with a conviction for theft should not work as a bank cashier) would be a mistake.

Good luck!
    Nae
  • Thanks! And, I certainly agree with you.
  • [quote=nreed;723744]Hi there, I have a question about when it is and when it may not be appropriate to run a criminal background screen

I have a manager that would like to screen, with their authorization, several candidates for a position. Normally, our policy stipulates that we only run the background screens on individuals after a contingent offer of employment is made. Is it safe to run the screens prior to an offer?[/quote]

Your first post! Welcome to the Forum. :welcome:
  • Another agreeing vote for Nae's answer.

Also, just as a related note/product plug (:)) for those who may be interested in further information on criminal background checks and other screening methods, in the most recent two issues of [url=http://store.hrhero.com/esla]Employers State Law Alert (ESLA),[/url] we've discussed employment screening methods, including background checks, in detail.

If you're an HRLaws subscriber, you already have access to ESLA as part of your subscription. (Just go to the [url=http://www.hrlaws.com/state/federal]Federal page[/url] and select "Employers State Law Alert" from the list of newsletters in the middle column).

The February issue discusses the benefits and risks of criminal background checks and details the recent trend of "ban the box" legislation in the states. The March issue covers a variety of other forms of employee/applicant screening, including social media checks, drug screening, credit checks, and the like.