What's Your Facebook Score?

Hi, everyone!

I came across an article that stopped me in my tracks -- Before firms use 'Facebook score' to screen applicants, stop the insanity  I think it's very interesting. You can read it here -- http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/23/10480684-before-firms-use-facebook-score-to-screen-applicants-stop-the-insanity

It led me to this article -- Facebook profiles predict job success

You can find it here --
http://lifeinc.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/22/10479218-facebook-profiles-predict-job-success 

What are your thoughts about using a Facebook score to evaluate applicants? Would you ever use one?

Sharon

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This is one of those things that just sounds wrong. It probably actually works but it sounds terrible.
  • Wow, wow, W.O.W.

I can't say I'm surprised to hear of this, I think it really was only a matter of time. And in all honesty, I can see this being a true hit with employees in the Millennial generation. Despite the supposed legality of this, I wouldn't do it. There are just too many variables that I could see problems with.

For example, the profile of a 27 year old and a 54 year old will likely be vastly different. There will be differences in frequency of updates, amount of content, etc. I can easily see how this scoring system could potentially adversely impact an older employee.

And don't forget people like me, who have actually quit Facebook (yes, Facebook and I got divorced in November), or employees who have never even set up a page. Would that pre-empt me from getting a job? I would hope not.

I think it is fine to use information you find online to make educated decisions about a candidate, but I think calculating an actual score is a slippery slope.
  • NaeNae55NaeNae55 3,243 Posts
    edited August 2015 PMVote Up0Vote Down
    My understanding is that there is a very narrow scope when using this. On that basis, and if it was a third party doing the checking, I would be ok with this on some job positions. It is not a fit for everyone, and would only be one factor to look at when hiring. The real key here would be in defining the job parameters and the terms of the scoring. I see it as just another way to do a personality test. If it works, and you can set it up so it isn't prejudicial, then go for it.
  • To test out this theory I went on Nae's Facebook page. Here are my non-scientific results:

1. Nae is very needy. Her page is covered with "Nae needs a ladder" or "Nae needs some bolt" or "Nae needs wood 2x4".
    2. Nae may have a drinking problem. She has a photo of a group of drunk pumpkins and one status mentions "happy hour".
    3. Nae is delusional. She has listed "playing cafe world" as one of her employers.
    4. Nae is inflexible. She has listed the quote "Never give in--never, never, never, never in nothing great or small" as one of her mottos.
    5. Nae is a religious zealot. She has listed the Bible as the only book she reads.
    6. Nae is unfriendly. She only has 200 friends which is WAY less than I have.

So, I think this Facebook assessment is actually pretty accurate.
  • Thank you, Paul, for proving my point about using 3rd parties for assessments. It is really important to have someone who actually knows what they are doing perform the assessment. O:)

Someone put playing cafe world as my employer, and it wasn't me. I don't know how they did it, and haven't been able to fix it. I guess if people are going to comment on it, and JUDGE me on it, I better contact fb and get it fixed. :ball and chain:
  • What if employers judged applicants based on their forum behavior? Then, I would be in trouble!
  • Not me, I'm a perfect :angel:
  • My boyfriend doesn't have a Facebook page. Does that mean he fails the test? I would think for a lot of employers, that could mean extra credit. After all, it shows that he doesn't get distracted by these crazy computer "fads" -- and at the very least he wouldn't use company bandwidth or post something that HR will have to deal with later.

Since pretty much all our friends are on FB, I often get messages to pass on to him through my FB page. It makes for some interesting dinner conversations: "According to FB, you are supposed to go the VW show with Jared this weekend."
  • Where's the 'Like' button when you need it? :D