Workplace Romance

In reference to the marriage of two company employees, our policy states:

In the event that two employees should marry, the Chief Executive Officer will determine whether it is appropriate for both employees to continue working at the "Company". If not considered appropriate, the two persons directly concerned will be given the opportunity to choose which person must seek employment elsewhere".

For the first time in my 20+ years in HR, we have a member of executive management engaged to one of our employees, who is NOT a member of management or executive management. The employee does NOT answer to this particular member of executive management. Thus far, both have not flaunted the situation.

Other members of "executive management" are up in arms over this - reasoning being any liability issues to the Company. In the past, it was decided that this part of the policy need not be revised due to the simple fact that "executive mangement" or "managment" should know his/her responsibilities concerning the image and/or the well-being (harassment lawsuits, etc) of the Company.

I explained that we should have no problem defending a "sexual harassment" or "harassment" claim (if all goes sour) since the two involved have become engaged - so obviously they are consenting adults. Also, even though we are a small "Company" (less than 70 employees), the possiblity of making it appear the member of exec management has influence over the employee is nil - as stated above - employee does NOT answer to this particular member of executive management.

The situation now: CEO wants to have meeting with both involved. He wants to make it clear he is not happy with the situation - that the member of exec management should have never put himself or the Company in this position. The CEO also wants to make the decision that one of the two will have to leave employment - once they are married. I have explained to the CEO - this is NOT what our policy says.

The CEO told me "he heard thru the grapevine" that the employee is seeking employment elsewhere. To this, I advised that if any meeting was held, it would be to request that the employee give us sufficient notice to allow time to find a replacement.

I feel the CEO & remaining members of executive management are making this a "personal" issue; however, I do feel the member of executive management involved made a very poor decision. My question is: Any suggestions on how to handle "everyone" in the situation (i.e. CEO, exec management, couple involved)? Am I wrong with my advice to "leave it alone" UNLESS it becomes "disruptive" in the workplace?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I wonder if this employee will have a case for sexual harrassment if they are forced out. As long as they are not disrupting the office, and no one is complaining that anyone is receiving better or worse treatment because of the relationship, I think you could be setting yourself up for a fall.
    It is appropriate to talk to the two, but just to remind them of your policies, in particular, harrassment policies. Let them know of your concerns, and get from them their assurance that they understand your policies, that they will not let their relationship cause disruption, and that no one expects any special treatment (positive or negative) and you should be ok.
    Don't make a mountain out of a molehill or it may end up a landslide coming right back on top of you.
  • [I]"The situation now: CEO wants to have meeting with both involved. He wants to make it clear he is not happy with the situation - that the member of exec management should have never put himself or the Company in this position. The CEO also wants to make the decision that one of the two will have to leave employment - once they are married. I have explained to the CEO - this is NOT what our policy says."[/I]

Hmm... am I missing something. That does sound like what your policys says.
  • Policy states: "In the event that two employees marry, the Chief Executive Officer will determine whether it is appropriate for both employees to continue working....." Key word here being "appropriate". Since employee does NOT report to this particular member of management, what grounds would he have for making the decision that it is NOT "appropriate" for both to continue working for the Company? That is, of course, as long as the relationship does not disrupt the workplace.
  • As I read your policy, I think the key wording is "Chief Executive Officer will determine whether it is appropriate".

The policy appears to give the CEO broad power to make the determination of what is appropriate regardless of whether there is sufficient grounds or not.

It sounds like your CEO does not feel its appropriate and your policy would appear to give him the right to require one of these employees to leave the company.

I think your role would be to advise the CEO on any potential negative impact to the organization his decision might have but otherwise I think the decision is his to make. You certainly don't want to appear unsupportive or disruptive - even if you disagree with his view of "innappropriate".