letter of resignation

Good morning everyone!! Does anyone know of any potential consequences for an employer if a letter of resignation is not accepted?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You mean the employer wants to fire instead? Refuse to let the employee go?

Actually, I don't see how you can do the second unless the employee is under contract so I will assume the first situation. You are really talking semantics here so I don't see how it can make any difference. I think we need more details to be any help here.
  • I agree with Nae. . I would like some more information. .
  • Do you mean if an employer refuses to allow an employee to work out their notice? I've seen this often. Sometimes because of bad blood between the employer and employee but others because the employer feels it puts the business at risk to keep the exiting employee. It's a risk people take when they give a notice.
  • Additional information would be helpful. Here are some thoughts to consider based on the limited information presented.

If there is an employment contract, then the employee and employer are likely governed by the terms of the contract, that should cover conditions for separation. If it is an At-Will employment situation, the employer cannot prohibit the employee from resigning, but has flexibility regarding the conditions of the resignation. Example, the employer can make the separation date sooner than the employee's specified date, but cannot extend the employment beyond the specified date, as in requiring the person to continue to report to work. There may be some technical considerations, such as payroll runs, that do not allow for processing point in time, that may result in a post dated effective date.
  • ..and if it is a case of deciding the employee needs to leave earlier than their stated date, you are on the hook for unemployment.

Could we have some details please?