Gift-Giving Policies

Hi!

There's an interesting article about gift-giving on HRHero that got me thinking about gift policies and whether they're really needed.

Personally, I think employee receipt of gifts should be covered in the ethics policy and not be spotlighted on its own. But, then I started thinking about all the employees I've come across over the years that hoarded gifts from vendors and wouldn't share even the tiniest apple from a ginormous fruit basket with their coworkers.

So, what's your company's gift policy? Does it cover holiday gift-giving between employees? Is it time to set up a separate policy for gifts?

Take a peek at the HRHero article (link below). It just might prompt you to get your policy writing fingers busy.

Sharon http://www.hrhero.com/hl/articles/2011/12/06/gift-giving-policies-for-the-workplace

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Here's our policy. Now that I look at it, it's probably time to update!

330 Gifts and Favors
    Effective Date: 1/1/2009

No employee shall solicit or accept for personal use, or for the use of others, any gift, favor, loan, gratuity, reward, promise of future employment, or any other thing of monetary value that might influence, or appear to influence, the judgment or conduct of the employee in the performance of his or her job.

Employees can accept occasional unsolicited courtesy gifts or favors (such as business lunches, tickets to sporting events or cultural events, holiday baskets, flowers, etc.) so long as the gifts or favors have a market value under $50, are customary in the industry, and do not influence or appear to influence the judgment or conduct of the employee. Small gifts to supervisors on special occasions and/or group gifts are acceptable, but lavish gifts will be returned. Gifts should have no appearance of trying to solicit special favor from a supervisor; therefore personal gifts from employees who are on formal employee discipline are discouraged. Please discuss any exceptions to this amount with your supervisor.