Perf Eval

I am curious to know how others handle annual perf evals for employees that receive disciplinary action during the year. Does the employee violation or disciplinary action affect the annual perf evaluation rating and merit pay increase or not? I understand if it does, the employees get 'punished' twice and vice versa. For discussion purposes, we don't have a policy that specifically outlines our practice. Insights are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin B

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Welcome to the forum, Kevin. :welcome:

Anything the employee does during the period (year) goes into the performance evaluation. It is, after all, an evaluation of the past period's performance. An employee who gets displined, as well as one who earns a special honor, would have that information included. Merit would then be based on the final evaluation.

I don't see it as a second punishment, but rather an extension or consequence of the action/discipline. If an employee goes above and beyond and we honor them publicly for it, we would still count it in their evaluation and their merit pay would be based on it. It would not be fair to do otherwise. Likewise, when an employee gets disciplined during the year, it is taken into account during the evalution.

Just my 2 cents.
  • I agree totally with Nae. .
  • Yeah I am new and thought I would post to the forum to get started. Your comments are consistent with our practice and training. Thanks a ton for taking time to reply and have a great day! **==
  • I agree too. I would, however, note if the performance has improved since the disciplinary action. That would all be part of the year's evaluation.