Applicant keeps re applying

I have an applicant who was a former employee that left on her own about 6 years ago. The 2 supervisors that she had when she was employed said though there is nothing negative in her file, there was some issues with her and her job performance and do not want to hire her back. She has applied several times and has recieved rejection letters, but still keeps reapplying. How would you handle someone that continues to re apply who was a former employee in which the rejection letter does not seem to get the point across?

I look forward to your answers

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would not do anything other than what you are currently doing. As you said, there is nothing in her files. If you tried to tell her now she will never be hired then she may find grounds to sue. I would just keep sending her the letter. Eventually she will quit trying or your supervisors will move on.

I can't help wondering, why isn't there any documentation in her file, especially if things were bad enough to not want to rehire this former employee? Perhaps you need to take a closer look at the supervisors.
  • Just out of curiosity, if she came back would she be reporting to either of the two supervisors who said they didn't want her back? If not, and neither of them could provide specifics regarding her prior performance that would justify never hiring her again, then I would forward her application/resume to the current hiring manager.

Sharon
  • Agree with the others. .has she even been interviewed this time around?
  • She was interviewed the first time she reapplied, the second time around she was not. Now we are on the third time, but honestly I do not have a postion to fit her needs.

As far as the supervisors... this applicant was "good friends" with their supervisor so most things were "swept under the carpet" things years ago before my time were very bad here and the company suffered dearly from it. Before I came on as HR Director under the new management 9 yrs ago there was no HR department, HR issues were handled very poorly. I am happy to say, things are not like that now, we are thriving and under the guidance of a great Executive Director!
  • With that additonal info, I agree with Nae. .
  • I read this post with interest because we have experienced several "serial applicants" who were former employees.

I've debated telling them "you probably will never get hired back" but that is a very difficult conversation to have. Often these are not problem employees but they also aren't people that you necessarily want back. Its hard to explain that to someone.