Unsolicited applications

I was wondering how the rest of you handle your application process. Do you accept/hand out unsolicited applications or resumes. Do you accept at all times or just when you have a position available? I have been recently advised not to hand out applications unless I have a position available. We have always handed out and accepted applications or incoming resumes whether or not we have a position available.
I look forward to your input. Thanks, Tracey

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When I have an opening, I run the ad, list it on our website, and have the listing linked to an online application specifically for that position. I not only don't accept anything else, I warn people in the ad that I won't accept anything else. That way, they can also understand how cuddly I am. :)
  • Like Frank we don't accept unsolicited applications, and these applications are shreded without review or acknowledgement to the sender. All our information states that we do not accept unsolicited apps.. Does this make me more warm and fuzzy than Frank?
  • We only accept electronic applications and applicants can only submit an electronic application for a specific job opening. So... we don't receive unsolicited applications.
  • SAme as Frank and never a dull
  • I wish we did not accept unsolicated applications - but we do. A few years back we were fortunate to be the bulls eye of a DOL "random" selection to review our Affirmation Action Plan and all documents assocaited with same. Thought this would go on forever.... During this process the DOL recomended that we not accept applicaitons unless they were for a specific open position. When this was presented to our Executive Management Team, the decision was made to continue keeping blank applicaitons out and to accept any application or resume that is turned in at any time. Sure makes keeping track of them all a lot more fun.
  • [QUOTE=tdanneberger;720703]I was wondering how the rest of you handle your application process. Do you accept/hand out unsolicited applications or resumes. Do you accept at all times or just when you have a position available? I have been recently advised not to hand out applications unless I have a position available. We have always handed out and accepted applications or incoming resumes whether or not we have a position available.
    I look forward to your input. Thanks, Tracey[/QUOTE]

Thank you all for your responses to my question. You are all a big help!!:)