Resigning but Wants to Keep Working

What would you do if an employee who isn't performing up to par says he would rather resign than be put on a performance improvement plan but he wants to keep working while he looks for another job?

Read [I]Michigan Employment Law Letter[/I] attorney editor Susan Hartmus Hiser's Q&A on this subject at [url]http://hrhero.com/hl/articles/2010/05/13/when-an-employee-wants-to-resign-but-continue-working/[/url]

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think the big question is "do you want to start letting employees decide whether they go on performance improvement plans?"

By allowing the employee to dodge the improvement plan and remain workind you are setting what I would believe to be a bad precedent.

Let's say this particular employee happens to be a white male and your next sub par employee is from a protected class and they also want to skip out on the performance improvement plan while they look for another job.

Not to mention you are essentially allowing an employee to continue working for you who has basically stated "I am not interested in improving my performance".
  • Oh, man, I always have a bad feeling when I say this, but..........I have to agree with Paul.

We use employee improvement plans as a part of our evaluation process and progressive discipline program, A refusal to agree to the improvement plan, in my opinion, would be equal to insubordination, and subject the employee to discharge.

I think I would accept the employee's resignation in face of termination, effective immediately.
  • Thank you Joannie. I didn't want to be the one to agree with Paul, especially in such a public setting.
  • It gets easier after awhile. Hmm... that sounds kind of creepy doesn't it?
  • Well I don't mind telling you that I agree with Paul 100% on this one.

Let's invent something new everybody -- "constructive resignation".