What Would You Do?

I received six new hire packets from one of our field offices. Four of them had incomplete I-9's, i.e. no signature, no identification, etc. These guys were one day hires so they are gone from the scene. We participate in E-Verify. The question is: Do I process through E-Verify, or do I just file. In either case the company I work for is not in compliance. What would you do? What would be the best thing to do.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [quote=carol1500;718079]I received six new hire packets from one of our field offices. Four of them had incomplete I-9's, i.e. no signature, no identification, etc. These guys were one day hires so they are gone from the scene. We participate in E-Verify. The question is: Do I process through E-Verify, or do I just file. In either case the company I work for is not in compliance. What would you do? What would be the best thing to do.[/quote]

Carol1500,

I can't tell you what to do on this one since you use E-Verify, other than contact your employment law attorney for guidance. I do know that employers who participate in E-Verify are required to use it for all new hires and can't be selective about which ones to process while participating in that program.

If you don't have access to an employment law attorney, you might want to contact the USCIS to let them know what has happened and ask them for guidance. They can be reached at 1-888-464-4218.

If E-Verify were not an issue, I'd document what has happened and file all the paperwork as I normally would. Either way, I'd make sure every person in the organization who is required to process I-9's goes through training -- again, if necessary.

I wish I could offer more help.

Sharon

PS: If there are other Forumites out there who've had experience with this situation, please chime in.
  • [quote=Sharon McKnight SPHR;718085]

If E-Verify were not an issue, I'd document what has happened and file all the paperwork as I normally would. Either way, I'd make sure every person in the organization who is required to process I-9's goes through training -- again, if necessary.[/quote]

I think I would go one step further and send a memo to the person at the field location responsible for completing the I-9's. The memo would detail the requirements and correct process for completing, the date of previous training on these procedures, if held, and a warning that future incidences of failure to follow the procedures will result in disciplinary action. CC the proper supervisors, of course.
  • Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my problem.

Carol