Concealed Weapons at Work

Hi Everyone,

We have an employee who recently let us know that he'd like to carry a concealed weapon while working. He's a truck driver who has a weekly run from our facility down to customer in another part of the country. He says he feels unsafe in one of the areas where our customer is located. Has anyone run into a situation like this before? Anyone have ideas on where I could learn more about employer rights and liabilities? (I'm in Michigan).

Also, we've recently expanded (hired a new division) and many of our new employees are former cops. We haven't asked, but we're sure that many of them are already carrying. We've never run into this issue before and are deciding that we need to develop a stance/policy now.

Thoughts?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have never run into this to my knowledge. I think the only thing that we have had is staff who carry knives (leathermans, etc).

Doing a google search for "concealed gun at work" I was able to find a sample policy that indicated you can prohibit weapons on your premises regardless of whether an employee has a concealed weapons permit.

I am not a trucker but I can imagine that it might be common for truckers to carry weapons given they are out on the road alone and may feel the need to protect themselves.

You might consider pulling together a group of your employees (include some of the ex-cops) and discuss the issue with them. Their input could be valuable.

I think a knee-jerk reaction would be "ban all weapons" but before you do that, you should take time to consider what is best for your organization.
  • Recent court decisions have held that you can ban weapons in company-owned vehicles, but you cannot ban weapons in private vehicles in your parking lot. I'm assuming this truck driver would NOT feel the need to carry a gun into your building, so the only question might be whether the truck belongs to you or him.
  • Weapons at work is a hot issue in HR right now around the country. I happen to be working on a special project RE: the topic and have done considerable research.

I would first ask the state you are in and whether your state has recently passed gun-carry legislation? If so, you should become familiar with your state's law and know your limits or whether you (as an employer) qualify for an exception. Likewise, some states have passed legislation achieving the opposite--that is that employers can prohibit firearms anywhere on their properties. The key for your employees, then, would be whether that have a permit or license to carry a concealed weapon. Those who don't and choose to carry a weapon must adhere to your company's policy RE: weapons on the property.

The next step, of course, is to confirm your company policy. In case you are in a gun-carry-neutral state and don't have a policy, you may have a prior practice of permitting personal firearms in company automobiles. You do not have to permit them, even in firearm-friendly states. However, the line will gray a little if you have permitted them in the past or if your employees are driving their personal automobiles while conducting your company's business.

Frank's message is true. If you have a policy prohibiting personal firearms in company vehicles and a consistent practice of banning them, you should be in the clear to continue to ban them. Even if you are in a firearms-friendly state (one of 9 that currently permits licensed individuals to carry their guns into employer parking lots), you can still ban firearms from company vehicles if you have a policy and practice of banning them.

Rest assured that if you didn't know this issue is in the news, your employees probaby do, especially if many of them are retired law enforcement officers. Many states grandfather retired LEOs in as having a lifetime license to carry a concealed weapon. The opponents and proponents of personal access to firearms are very busy getting their messages out to individuals who want to hear it.

best wishes
  • Our policy prohibits weapons of any kind, whether permitted or not, in company vehicles or on company property, unless the unloaded weapon is locked inside a personal vehicle. We just added the "Unless" phrase. Thank you Oklahoma legislature for your recent flip-flop.