Recipe Contest

As promised I am giving you the recipes from the cancelled recipe contest we had. I will take of the employees names, but otherwise they are as they were given to me. Remember, they had to feed a family of 4 for under $10.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHICKEN & CHINESE NOODLE CASSEROLE

Diced Cooked Chicken $3.69 @lb
Cream of Mushroom Soup .67¢ @can
Cream of Chicken Soup .89¢ @can
Chinese Noodles .89¢
¼ cup broth/milk/water
subtotal $6.14
Peas 2/.43¢ .86¢
Red Jello .20¢ @box
w/Fruit .99¢ @can
subtotal $2.05

total $8.19

Chicken Casserole
Put both soups in a saucepan – add 1 cup diced & cooked chicken per can of soup
(or use 1 8oz can of chicken per can of soup)
Use the broth from the canned chicken to rinse the soup cans, or 1/8 cup of milk or water per soup can.
Season to taste –
(recommended – pepper, red pepper, garlic powder, dash of Tabasco)
Heat until very warm to hot throughout, stirring constantly.
Once warmed through, add the Chinese Noodles, leaving some out for a crispy topping.

Serve with your choice of vegetables & salad on the side.
Using red & green vegetable and/or salad will present a healthy, attractive meal, for a low cost.
To increase for larger appetites or more people, just add 1 cup of diced chicken per can of soup added, with extra noodles.
To decrease, use only 1 can of soup, with 1 cup or can of chicken, and fewer noodles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MEXI-CASSEROLE

1½ lbs ground beef
1 pkg taco season mix (reserve 1 teas)
10¾ oz can condensed tomato soup
2 cans 15oz each chili or kidney beans

Topping:

1 cup Bisquick or pancake mix
1 teas reserved taco mix
1 cup shredded cheese
1/2 cup milk
1 egg

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brown & drain ground beef. Stir in seasoning, soup, & beans. Combine topping ingredients in separate bowl, blend well. Pour meat mixture into 3 qt casserole dish or 13 x 9 pan. Spoon topping over meat; bake uncovered 15 to 25 minutes until golden brown.

Serve with lettuce salad of you choice & enjoy!!!

DOUBLE DINNER

1. Chicken Pot Pie 2. Chicken and Noodles
Boiled chicken Boiled Chicken
2 cans mixed vegetables, drained 4-6 C Egg Noodles
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 pie shells

Bring to boil a medium or large whole chicken and simmer until about or just before done (do NOT overcook). Let it cool enough to handle and then de-bone it. Save the chicken broth. This part can be done ahead of time and kept frozen or refrigerated until needed.

Dinner 1:
Take 2 cups of the chicken and combine with mixed vegetables and cream of chicken soup. Put mixture in a pie shell and then cover with 2nd pie shell. Cut slits on top and bake on the lowest shelf of your oven for 20 minutes at 450 degrees. Depending on your oven, you may want to move the pot pie up higher in your oven and cook until top is lightly browned. Serve with a green salad.

Dinner 2:
Add remaining chicken back into the chicken broth. You may wish to add chicken bouillon at this time. Bring to a boil and add egg noodles. Cook per package instructions. Serve with mashed potatoes and a vegetable.

I recently made this double dinner with a whole chicken (chicken parts or canned chicken is acceptable), instant herb mashed potatoes and green beans for the vegetable. Each meal had 4 servings with leftovers, and the total cost was under $16.00.

CHILI SPAGHETTI CASSEROLE

8oz. cooked spaghetti ($.30)
1 (14.5 oz.) can Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained ($.60)
1# hamburger ($1.50)
1 med. onion, chopped (w/spices $.50)
¼ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 (15oz.) can chili w/o beans ($.75)
1 (8 oz.) pkg. shredded cheese ($1.34)
1 C. sour cream ($1.35)
1 ½ tsp. chili powder
¼ tsp. garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350`. Spray 9x13” pan with non-stick cooking spray. Cook pasta, drain. Brown beef, add onion, salt, pepper.

Drain fat and add chili, tomatoes with juice, 1 C. cheese, sour cream, chili powder & garlic powder. Add chili mixture to pasta, stir well. Sprinkle with remaining ½ C. cheese (or more). Cover tightly with foil. Bake 30 min. or until hot & bubbly. Let stand 5 min.
Cost $6.34. Add salad and garlic bread, cost $9.16.

CHICKEN TETRAZZINI
(Bonus recipe by author of Chili Speghetti Casserole)

1¼ cups of spaghetti, broken and cooked
2 cups cooked chicken
¼ cup diced pimento
½ small onion, chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
½ teaspoon salt
½ lb. Grated cheddar cheese (2 cups)

Mix all ingredients together using just half of the cheese. Put the mixture in a casserole (2 quart) and cover with the rest of the cheese. Refrigerate overnight and cook uncovered at 350 for 45 min. This dish freezes well.*

I break up and measure the uncooked spaghetti, then cook it. One recipe fills a 9x9 casserole.
When I double it, I use a 13x9 casserole

CORN CASSEROLE

1 can cream corn, un-drained
1 can whole corn, un-drained
1 cup uncooked macaroni
½ cup melted margarine
1 cup cubed Velveeta Cheese
Optional: minced onion, celery, pimento or ham.

Mix, cover, and bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.

Feeds 4-6 people depending on serving size.

I estimate the cost to be around $3 - $4 to make.

Hope you enjoy the recipes.

Nae

Comments