Homemade Ricotta Cheese

Homemade Ricotta Cheese

1 gallon 2% reduced-fat milk
5 cups low-fat buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt

Line a large colander with five layers of dampened cheesecloth, allowing ends to extend over edges of colander; place colander in a large bowl.

Combine milk and buttermilk in a large, heavy stock pot. Attach candy thermometer to edge of pan so that thermometer extends at least 2 inches into milk. Cook over medium high heat until candy thermometer registers 170 degrees, GENTLY stirring occasionally. As soon as mixture reaches 170 degrees, STOP STIRRING. Curds and whey begin separating at this point, and the curds will break apart and become grainy and thin if you stir. Continue to cook, without stirring, until thermometer registers 190 degrees. Immediately remove pan from heat (bottom may be slightly scorched).

Using a slotted spoon, gently spoon curds onto cheesecloth. Discard whey, or reserve for another use. Drain over bowl for five minutes, then gather edges of cheesecloth together and tie securely. Hang bundle from kitchen faucet to drain (or hang from handle of long spoon placed across corner of sink, or just tie it and hold it above the colander to drip. It's only fifteen minutes) until whey stops dripping.

Scrape ricotta into a bowl, sprinkle with salt. Toss gently with a fork to combine. Cool to room temperature before refrigerating, store in refrigerator for up to four days. Yield: about 3 cups

Tips: Do not push on curds while whey is draining. Do not allow to overdrain, or reserve a bit of whey to sprinkle over the top - mine ended up more dry than I thought it would. If making several batches, always use fresh cheesecloth and clean the pot between batches. I was shocked at how easy this process was - and you don't have to watch it constantly. It only took about an hour total, from start to tossing with salt finish.

One 1/4 cup serving has 115 calories and about 6 grams of fat, according to Cooking Light magazine where I pirated this recipe.

They say the whey can be used in place of milk or water in breads, pancakes, or muffins. I poured mine down the drain. Anybody know another use for it? You have a lot left over. Also, anybody want to post their favorite recipes that contain ricotta or cottage cheese? I didn't like it plain (although a co-worker said it was as good as the cottage cheese she used to get as a youngster when her father ran a dairy) but it was amazing in a simple baked ziti casserole.

Comments