Homeade ice cream

I've got a party tomorrow and have the factory recipe. Anyone with a good one of their own or any advice?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • These are two of my favorites, passed down from grandmothers. Both unusual, simple and delicious:

Grape Sherbet

1/2 gallon milk
    4 c sugar
    2/3 c lemon juice
    1 bottle Welch's Grape Juice (1 1/2 pt)
    Dissolve sugar in milk, heating, not boiling milk.
    Let cool a bit.
    Pour sugared milk in Ice Cream freezer.
    Turn until mushy.
    When mushy, add lemon and grape juice.
    Turn until motor stops. Unplug immediately.
    If you substitute 1/2 pt. whipping cream for 1 cup milk, you'll have a richer, creamier texture.

Pineapple Sherbet

Basic prep same as above, except 1 cup lemon juice instead of 2/3 cup
    1 large can crushed pineapple instead of grape
    Prepare as with Grape Sherbet

For a real treat, after you scoop into bowls, pour a little whipping cream on top and it hardens into an hard, sweet cap.

These recipes are probably 75-100 years old. Along the way, my mother or wife mentioned the freezer motor stopping in the recipe. The originals, of course, mentioned hand cranking the old ice cream freezer, which we still have. Of course you have to pour crushed ice and ice cream salt around the sides of the churning freezer container, being careful not to run all the salt water down the sink if you have iron pipes. If you do, put the freezer in a big bowl or pot to do its work and pour out your saltwater waste on some weeds in the driveway.

Disclaimer: This message surely cannot offend.
  • Thanks for the recipe. I haven't been able to try it yet. I got a late start and the motor on the ice cream maker burnt out. So we sat around the tub drinking beer and spinning the churner with a wratchet. The party was over by the time it was done, so it is now sitting in the freezer waiting my arrival home. I made the grape sherbet.