1/8 t pepper
Dash paprika
2 c sliced fresh mushrooms
2 T butter
1 c shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
8 bacon strips, partially cooked
2 t minced fresh parsley

In a bowl, comine mustard, honey, 1 1/2 t oil, and lemon juice. Pour 1/2 c of marinade into a large resealable plastic bag, add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 2 hours, turing occasionally. Cover and refrigerate the remaining marinade.

After the 2 hours have passed, drain and discard marinade from chicken. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in remaining oil on all sides. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika. Transfer to a greased 11x7 inch baking dish.

In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Spoon reserved marinade over chicken. Top with cheeses and mushrooms. Place bacon strips in a crisscross pattern over chicken. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees internally. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.

Cook's notes:
2 cups of mushrooms weren't enough if you really like mushrooms.

I am chicken illiterate and used 4 whole chicken breasts. There was still plenty of marinade, but they took FOREVER to test done in the middle.

I made this more for my hubby since I don't really like chicken that much (hence my illiteracy) but I even enjoyed it. He's going to convert me away from being a plant eater yet - I bought ingredients to make "get happy pork loin" this weekend. Highlights on Monday. x;-)

The honey mustard flavor is pretty strong. I'm not sure why it isn't called Honey Mustard Chicken . . .

The bacon would be easier to eat if it were diced and sprinkled over the chicken. I might try that next time.

Comments

• 31 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Watch out! If the reviews about 'Get Happy Pork Loin' were accurate, you won't be in on Monday! x:-)
  • Wouldn't you know that the VFW chicken noodle dinner was last night so I ended up not getting to cook it?! I'm hoping for (ahem) better luck tonight . . .
  • Not to steal HRCalico's thunder, but here's a different spin on this recipe (Don, now's your chance to put the chipotles to good use).

Replace the Dijon mustard with chipotle adobo sauce and add some roasted garlic paste. BAM, BAM! You know the rest......

In case anyone hasn't figured it out by now, I have a major affection towards garlic and anyhting hot and spicy (but it's gotta have taste).

Gene
  • >Wouldn't you know that the VFW chicken noodle
    >dinner was last night so I ended up not getting
    >to cook it?! I'm hoping for (ahem) better luck
    >tonight . . .

The VFW serves food? The only thing I ever went to the VFW for was 5 cent drafts of Yuengling Lager. Let me tell you, we'd get rip roarin', knee walkin' drunk for a buck! Price went-up to 10 cents if there was entertainment, so sometimes you'd have to spring another dollar.....
  • Gene, you may not be aware that I live in a town of approximately 80 people. The ladies' auxillary opens up the town hall (which also serves as the Lions and VFW meeting place) and serves anybody that walks in and puts down a dollar.

Now, the next town over does not carry chipotles, so I bought a during a trip to the "city". I'll have to give it a run next time - my hubby loves spicy.

Oh, and if anybody cares, my pork loin was a little dry. If you're supposed to add water and cover, why doesn't it say so??? :>) I'm such a novice cook. Thankfully hubby would eat a cow pie if I put either salsa or honey on it (depends on if it is main dish or dessert).
  • That's neat. You truly do live in Small Town, USA. Does the VFW in your town have a canteen where they serve alcohol? When I was still living in PA, there were certain townships where that was the ONLY social gathering place where you could buy a beer.

Easy on the Chipotle Cow Pies, some national chain may catch on :)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-09-05 AT 12:09PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Did you try the get happy pork loin with a tenderloin cut or a loin roast? The tenderloin would cook up much faster and you'd need to reduce the time to roast it.

The mustard and honey marinade is one my family uses, also but instead of cheese and bacon, we add a bunch of curry powder. Yummy!
  • Hmmm . . . I don't remember what the label said. It was long and skinny, and ended up in two pieces when I was trimming the fat off, so I'm just realizing that I was dealing with much smaller pieces of meat. (I was not entirely at fault there!) I didn't use a thermometer to check the internal temp until after the 1 1/2 hours, so in hindsight, that would have helped, also. Oh, and did I mention that my husband was half an hour late for dinner?? :>) I did take it out of the oven and let it sit - thank goodness I didn't leave it in there!

Overall, I was just pleased that it ended up in better shape than the marinated beef tri-tip from a couple of weeks ago. (See previous note about husband and cow pies!)

My birthday is coming up, and I have requested a digital thermometer. The one I'm hoping for has a probe on a wire that you put in the meat and put the display unit on the counter. You set it to the temp you want, and it beeps at you when it gets there. I think it was made for people like me.

I'm learning to be a less literal cook and rely on my common sense as much as the recipe (maybe someday, I won't NEED recipes!).

Oh, and Gene, our hall is open only during events. The watering hole, AKA Horseshoe Tavern, closed down a year and a half ago. After our meth dealer who was covering with a sex toy shop got sent to prison, our only businesses in town are the post office, feed store, and grain elevator. We do still have a Catholic church that holds one mass per week, and my husband's weird uncle holds some kind of holy roller service in a steel building just off the highway. I think it's a cousin to snake handling churches . . .
  • OK, coffee just came out of my nose after reading your last post. What a town! Where is it, I'm moving next week! Meth, sex shops and cults....Are you sure you're really in New England?
  • I think she is in Nebraska. I know the Patriots are popualr, but they aren't going to create a state for them.
  • That's right, SMace - besides, we don't need no stinkin' pro team - we have the Huskers! Oh, wait, it's been rough lately. Maybe we would consider a pro team.

I'm not sure what will happen when our meth dealer gets out of the clink . . . her husband OD'd, so she's on her own.

You wouldn't expect such excitement in Nebraska, either. I heard an amusing quote a while ago regarding our political climate: "Democrats? They spray for those around here!" We're as conservative as they come. Our mayor (then it was my hubby's cousin - on the other side from the "preacher") made the sex shop change its name from "Good S**t Enterprises" to "GS Enterprises." Why us???
  • I just stopped by here for a moment and am about to go back and read the label on my pain medication. I can't seem to make much sense of any of the posts. What's wrong with 'good snot enterprises'?
  • Some people are offended by the word 'snot.' You see why people like to migrate to small towns? For peace and quiet, right? Helloooooo!
  • It's ok Don, the pain meds aren't playing tricks on you. I can't seem to distinguish between Nebraska and New Hampshire. I have no excuse.

Gene
  • No snot shops here in NH that I know of...but we do have a dance hall out behind the Dunkin' Donuts.

Yes, Sam, I agree that most sane people live in small towns where they can think, breathe and do lots of yard work. Good for the soul. I like going into the local post office, bank and pizza shop and be known by name.

• hahaha Bacon Cheese chicken doesn't interest me but meth and sex toy shops in Nebraska! Too Funny! Are the toys shaped liked cows?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-10-05 AT 10:06AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Judy, Judy, Judy......I have to admit, you've caused me to blush. I don't even want to think about the anatomical difficulties associated with bovine-shaped sex toys.

Gene
  • Meth labs in the Midwest have become an epidemic. The problem is that one of the key components to cook meth can be anhydrous ammonia and anyone who is from a farm state will tell you about the huge tanks farmers use to fertilize their crops. Most of the time they leave the tanks in the field at the end of the day and it is there for the taking.
  • Whew! There's some real quality education goin' on here. Beware of people who go into the drug stores and buy up all the nighttime sinus meds by the dozens. Follow them home and check out their kitchen.

What chicken recipe?
  • Walgreen's will NOT allow you to purchase more than 3 items containing pseudoephedrine (or similar ingredients) because of this.

I tried to get a box of Alka Seltzer Cold, Nyquil and Children's Dimetapp and you would've thought that instead of my check card I had pulled-out a pistol on the clerk.

It was programmed into their point-of-sale system, so the register would not even allow the sale to go through! Imagine that. I don't know if they do this all across the nation or maybe because I happen to be in meth capital of the world.
  • I feel sorry for the poor lady who merely posted a nice, quiet recipe. First thing you know, she gets all this off the wall, bizarre stuff in response. Calico, it ain't your fault. It's just that some of these people don't get out much.
  • Hah...she's the one who brought up the meth lab and sex shop, which were one and the same...I think.
  • You know, it's actually a very creative marketing strategy. What else are you gonna do for 2-3 days straight while wired on meth? It won't be eating or sleeping, that's for sure.
  • You know, Gene, I'd never thought of it THAT way. I just thought it was the first thing they thought of as a cover. Nice catch!

Safety hit the nail on the head, too - even my hubby and family don't take many precautions when it comes to the anhydrous. It did come up in conversation the other day that ag use of anhydrous is on its way out. Apparently there are new and better ways now. Hubby is hauling manure from our feedlots out to the fields as I type. Since the cattle eat most of our corn, it's definitely a case of what goes around comes around.

Oh, and I don't want to think about cow-shaped sex toys, either! :>) Good one, Judy. Even though he didn't admit it, I bet that made coffee come out Gene's nose, too.

Yeah, I just wanted to share some good chicken . . .
  • Funny indeed the way this thread just took on a life of it's own and went all over the place. Yes, I agree anhydrous ammonia is nothing to fool with. Fortunately for us we don't put it on anything. It stays safely contained within our refrigeration systems. I don't see it going away in our world due to it's numerous advantages over freon. For what it's worth.

Gene
  • At least it would be less easily available than just sitting in a tank at the end of the field with no one around, though!

Hey, is it true (don't try this at home, kids) that if you put a dollar bill in anhydrous, it'll shrink? MY crazy uncle (no connection to hubby's snake handling uncle) told me that; not sure if I believe him or not.
  • I think I will leave that in the same category as potato guns and sterno tabs mixed with coleman lantern fuel.

Gene
  • In 1985 I set a friend on fire by slinging a can of Coleman fuel across the top of a campfire beside which he was playing a Dillon song on a flat-top guitar. We got him put out before the ambulance got there. I mention that for no special reason. We have a huge anhydrous tank beside our plant. We also have razorwire atop the fence. Is Gene still in the room?
  • Holy smokes! Remind me never to go camping in MS. Coleman fuel is no joke. Neither is anhydrous. If we don't stop talking about this stuff we are liable to end-up on some sort of terrorist watch list with homeland security.
  • You don't think The DOn isn't already on that list?