Fried Ravioli

Since everyone is doling out great recipe ideas, I thought I would share one that my family enjoys (plus I want to get on the island!). Maybe The Don will let me on with this one.

Fried Ravioli

1 package of wanton wrappers (or you can make your own pasta dough if you want. The wanton wrappers save time because they are already cut into the perfect size squares).

1 container of ricotta cheese

1 package of frozen spinach (I use the cut spinach)

garlic powder

olive oil

your favorite spaghetti sauce (again, you can make your own - it's your time)

Parmesan cheese (use the good stuff)

Drain the spinach and rinse. Squueze as much of the water off of the spinach as possible.

Mix the spinach and ricotta cheese together. Add garlic powder to your taste.

Lay out a row of wanton wraps. Take a teaspoon of the cheese/spinach mixture and place in the middle of the wanton wrapper. Lightly moisten the bottom edge of the wanton wrapper. Fold the top edge over to the bottom edge. Seal the edge and ends with a fork. Continue until you have used all of the cheese/spinach mixture.

Take a large skillet (Cast iron, right Don! Or use a deep fryer) and add the olive oil (you don't want it very deep, maybe about a 1/4 inch in the pan). Heat the oil (don't let it smoke). Once the oil is hot, place the raviolis into the oil. When the bottom is golden brown (about 1-2 minutes), flip the raviolis. Let them brown. Repeat until all the raviolis are cooked.

Take the raviolis and place on a plate with a paper towel to drain off the excess oil. Transfer to a serving plate, top with warm spaghetti sauce and grate parmesan cheese over the top. Garnish with fresh herbs - I prefer basil. Eat while warm!

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Wow...it's not as complicated as the Paella but close. I've never used wonton wrappers but this recipe may get me to actually try them.

I vote you stay on The Island no matter what Don says. :-) Good luck!

Cheryl
  • I'm learning. Where do I look for Wanton Wrappers? Are they near the spaghetti or are they in a frozen box? Can you give me a brand name to look for? Hey, I don't control no island! I was kicked off myself over a year ago!
  • My grocery store sells the wanton wrappers in the produce section (they are by the tofu, but don't make that mistake!). I don't know a brand name to give to you, my store only sells one brand and once I get them home, they come out of the package, which is quickly discarded.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-09-05 AT 10:11AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I made a pot of sauce and meatballs on Sunday because I had the time. I think I'm gonna try these instead of regular pasta. Good Stuff!
  • I think its "wonton" wrappers. Could be wrong, but I don't think so.
  • You're right! A fried wanton, according to the dictionary, would actually be an inebriated hooker.
  • #-o I knew you couldn't pass that up, Don!
  • Well. then I guess I gave you wrong directions, you won;t find those in the produce section of your local grocer. At least not in my neighborhood!
  • I tried this recipe this weekend. I found the wonton wrappers in the produce section, near the tofu. I liked it, but my husband and children were turned off by the spinach and ended up just eating the sauce and garlic bread... Maybe next time I'll stuff them with chopped mushrooms and beef. (The ravioli, not my boys)

You can stuff the raviolis with pretty much any mixture - maybe for dessert stuff them with cream cheese and chopped berries, and sprinkle them with powdered sugar.

They were easy to make. Instead of using one wrapper folded in half for each ravioli, I used one for the top and one for the bottom. The raviolis were bigger but "assembly" was a lot faster.

My three-year-old helped by eating the wonton wrappers raw and plain. No GI problems yet, so it must be OK to eat them raw. x:-)

• Actually thought of trying this recipe 'cause I didn't have much to do this weekend, but I was going to forego the spinach and just fill them with ricotta cheese (sort of like mini-manicotti). In the end, I settled for a can of Chef Boyardee instead. x;-)
  • You are right, they are good with anything in them. I also have made them with sausage, ground beef, portebella mushrooms (chopped and sauted), anything works. If you want to try them as a dessert, try using filio [sp?] dough instead of the wonton wrappers. You can do a whole sheet, fold it over, and cut them onto squares. Powdered sugar, cinnamon and sugar are great toppers. I tried chocolate chips one time (trying to do a spin on a canoli), but the chocolate melted and it was really messy. Maybe instead I should heat the chocolate and dip the raviolis into it? Hhmmm......

BTW, am I on the freakin' island yet?
  • HR, if your not on the "freakin island" yet you should be! What a great recipe. I LOVE spinach and will make this on saturday. A perfect ending to a day on the beach playing with the jet ski. Can you have a beer with these ravioli's???
    scorpio

p.s. I will use "real" sauce or one of my Nona's will dump me in the gulf:DD