Christmas Cookies

I am going to do my Christmas cookie baking this weekend and want to throw in something different than the usual cholocate chip, peanut butter and sugar cookies. Anyone have any suggestions or awesome recipes they would like to share?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am making cookies this weekend, too. Tonight I will post one of the recipes I usually use.
  • I'm making cookies, too... sort of... I assume the kind you slice and bake counts as cooking, doesn't it? x;-)
  • Not really. But in some cultures it could be seen as baking. ;;)
  • Baking, cooking, you say tomato, I say tomahto.

It all involves heating up the thingie with the burners on top and the big hot box underneath. x;-)
  • This is actually candy rather than cookies, but it qualifies as awesome. They're extremely simple, but everyone raves about them:

1 lg. bag toll house chocolate chips
    1 lg. bag butterscotch chips
    1 lg. bag Reese' peanut butter chips (I think this bag is 2 oz. less that the choc. and buttersc. chips but that's okay)
    1 lg. jar dry roasted UNSALTED (very important) peanuts

Blend and melt all the chips in double boiler; stir in nuts. Drop individual spoonfuls of the mixture on sheets of wax paper and leave until it sets up. When until completely cool and then store in airtight containers.

This makes a LOT (pretty much cover every flat surface in your kitchen with wax paper while the chips are melting so you'll be ready for the volume). Put these in decorative jars or tins for great gifts. People seem to love them because when you look at them you expect ordinary chocolate candy but the other chip flavors give a wonderful, different flavor and a very creamy texture.
  • they won't go with beer unless you use salted nuts.
  • Yes, evidently someone else had that theory too and ruined a whole batch. Guess it goes to show that you need to keep your four basic food groups (sweet, salty, greasy, and alcoholic) separate. x:-)
  • This is a fun twist on peanut butter cookies:

Peanut Butter Christmas Mice

1 c creamy peanut butter
    1 c butter (no substitutes), softened
    1/2 c granulated sugar
    1/2 c packed brown sugar
    1 egg
    1 t vanilla
    1 1/2 c flour
    1/2 t baking soda

Per mouse: 2 Peanut halves, 1 mini Christmas M&M (red or green), 2 mini chocolate chips, 1-2" piece red shoestring licorice. The recipe says it makes about 5 dozen . . . you do the math.

In large bowl, cream peanut butter, butter, and sugars. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add baking soda, gradually add flour. Mix well. Refrigerate if needed to make dough easy to handle.

Roll into 1" balls, place 2" apart on ungrased cookie sheet. Pinch one end to taper for nose (not too sharply). Insert two peanut halves at center of ball (on top, with their flat side up) for ears, one M&M at pinched end for nose, and two mini choc chips for eyes.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and immediately insert one licorice piece on back end for tail. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.

The original recipe also calls for a little holly decoration placed by one ear, but those aren't readily available in these parts. I can try to scan and e-mail a picture if anyone wants to give it a try.

Not exactly Christmasy, but really really really surprisingly good:

Butterscotch Gingerbread Cookies

3 c flour
    2 t baking soda
    1 1/2 t cinnamon
    1 1/2 t ground ginger
    3/4 t ground cloves
    1/2 t salt
    1 c butter or margarine, softened
    1 1/2 c packed brown sugar
    1 egg
    1/3 c molasses
    1 pkg butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, soda, and all spices in medium bowl.

Beat butter, sugar, egg, and molasses in large bowl until creamy. Gradually beat in flour mixture, mix until well blended. Stir in chips.

Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on sheets 2 minutes, remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Yield: 3-4 dozen

Personally, this year, I'm going to try some of the "recipes" where you put a chocolate kiss on a pretzel and top it with an M&M or pretzel/rollo/pecan or something. I also found a white chocolate covered cherry recipe that I hope to try (don't want to post since it's untested). Last year, I seemed to spend way too much time freaking out about baking. I'm trying to simplify! xB-)