Gumbo

If there such a thing as a vegetarian gumbo soup, does anyone have a recipe? Spicier the better!

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Please don't say 'gumbo soup'. It's one or the other. Gumbo always starts with a roux and soup starts with water or tomato paste. I have some gumbo recipes, or rather 'she' does. I imagine you just leave out the meat. I'll check and re-post. Are you sure you want to leave out the oysters, shrimp and sausage? OK, I'll check.
  • Well, here's a real good Gumbo recipe. I reckon you can leave out whatever you like if you want 'pretend' Gumbo.

1 c. Flour
    2 lbs shrimp (fresh or frozen)
    1 c. vegetable oil
    1 lb Audouille sausage (none other!)
    1 lb. okra
    1 bay leaf
    1 8oz. can tomatoes
    tobasco sauce
    2 qts. fish stock or water
    1 lg. onion
    fresh crab meat
    1/2 bell pepper
    1 pt. oysters
    2 stalks celery
    salt
    pepper
    worcestershire sauce

Carefully make a roux. Mix oil & flour and then turn on heat and stir constantly 'til golden brown. Chop onion, pepper & celery & saute with 1 T. oil in gumbo pot.

After vegetables soften & turn translucent, add okra & saute a few minutes longer. Add tomatoes, bay leaf & fish stock or water.

Increase heat & bring mixture to low boil, cut sausage in 1/4" slices and brown. Add sausage to pot. Let it come to boil and add roux. Stir thoroughly & let simmer 30 minutes. Add crab meat & cook for another 10 minutes.

Add shrimp and oysters & return gumbo to a slight boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and wait 15 minutes to serve up over rice or as is.

Notice: If you want vegetarian gumbo, there ain't no such thing unless you want to heat up some water and pass a tomato through it gently.

Saltines, Ritz or other crackers required. Southern cornbread is an acceptable exchange.

Beer, Cold-Iced-tea with lemon, or white wine compliments.
  • OK, you're right, after you leave out all the meat, there's not much left.
  • Mmmmm, sounds good to me. This will be a perfect surprize for my husband when he comes home from hunting bambis. If I can't find okra up here, any substitute to suggest?
  • I guess you could pickup a ZATARAIN's Gumbo mix from your local super market (if they carry it in NH) and leave out the meat. That would save alot of time and money since there's not much without the meat anyway! I prefer deboned chicken & sausage. I'm not a fan of seafood gumbo and don't care for the chicken bones / fat! But, I know, it adds to the flavor, right?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-16-04 AT 11:22AM (CST)[/font][br][br]My boss loves to cook and bake so I asked him how I could make the gumbo and not use seafood or pork. He gave me some good suggestions with fish and turkey sausage.
  • I'm with Kiwi - sometimes fresh okra is hard to find. Shoot, a couple days ago the store didn't even have an artichoke! So, is there a substitute?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-16-04 AT 03:04PM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-16-04 AT 03:02 PM (CST)[/font]

The only true substitute for not finding okra in the stores in your area is to move to the South. The reason okra is so popular in gumbo, and not to sound indelicate, is because it is slimy. I can think of no other reason. I thought the question was posed from a vegetarian perspective, ergo my comments about unreal gumbo without meat.

I would think that you can find frozen, sliced okra in any state, but I'm not sure. I don't know of a vegetable that's ever substituted for okra in real gumbo. When you go to doing a bunch of substituting, you're moving in the direction of soup. I think my January Soup recipe is posted elsewhere.

Sure, you can put any kind of meat in the world in gumbo, but the two things you cannot do without and still have gumbo is a roux and slow cooking. gumbo in Arkansas contains road-kill possum.
  • I may have to make mine okraless. But I'm good on the roux, the meat and the patience, so it may turn out to be an acceptable, less slimey version.

Roadkill up here this time of year would most likely be venison. We already have a freezer of that in the non-gravelly version.x:9
  • they call it gumbo because of the okra. If you leave out the okra, then it is 'creole' as in shrimp creole rather than shrimp gumbo. Believe me you cannot make gumbo if you don't put in okra - it defeats the purpose.
  • I can attest to the slimy! I posted a while back about fried okra and gave it a try with some we grew in our garden. I could hardly pick it up to slice and it kept squirting around.

Due to my poor frying skills, it didn't turn out. We did discover that chickens LOVE okra, though, so not all was lost. And believe me, half of a row in a small garden can produce a lot of okra.
  • Okra fresh out of the garden, hard and green, is easy to slice up. You must have boiled it and then tried to slice it. Now that would squirt around on you.