"Nona's" Gravy :-)

O.k., I braved the wrath of all the Nona's and asked my Mom if I could share this recipex:-/
After she "connected' with the spirit all of all the "Nona's", it came back a unanimous "YES"-Apparently the Nona's feel anything is better than Ragu....Enjoy!

4 large cans Progresso crushed tomatoes(w/italian seasonings)
fresh garlic (alot!)
fresh oregano
fresh parsley
1 can italian tomatoe paste (small)
grated parmesan or romano cheese
red wine
6 italian sausage (I mix hot and mild)
2 lbs. ground sirloin
olive oil (xtra virgin)

Cover the bottom of a large (and deep) pot with olive oil-Lightly saute 2 cloves finely chopped garlic in the oil-Don't burn it! It gets bitter then!
Brown sausage and meatballs in olive oil and garlic-
Remove meat and set aside.
Add tomatoes, tomatoe paste, finely chopped garlic (hard to say how much, I go by taste)
oregano, parsley, at least 1/2 cup cheese and wine (LOTS of wine)-Stir thoroughly-Put the meat back in the pot with your sauce and cook, cook,and cook somemore! I usually cook it at low heat for at least 4 hours....When the neighbors in the next town can smell your sauce, it is done!

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This sounds fantastic, can't stand it, have to leave early today and see if I can stir the neighbors. Thanks ScorpioHR and Nona.
  • you are very welcome Safety-And, if you notice the gravy being stirred by "other hands" it is probably ONE of the Nona's, giving you a hand!!xclap

• Meatballs? What meatballs? Do you skin the sausage and squeeze it together? Do you pat out meatballs with the mixed sausage and sirloin. Where did your Nona, twice removed, find Progresso? Can I have your permission to circle my finger and thumb, close my eyes and whisper, "Maaama Mia!" I can smell it now! To hell with Atkins!
  • Well now, NO I do NOT "squeeze out the sausage" It is browned and cooked-whole.
    NO, I do not mix my sirloin and sausage together-The sirloin is for the meatballs...As for your fingers and the circle thing...you may whisper whatever you like. You might want to bear in mind though, that one or more Nona's might be listening and might just slap you upside the head with your own "gravy spoon"

Who is Atkins? Is he married? Since I lost Mr. Doughboy I have been looking #-o

• This is suspiciously close to how I make it, so maybe I've been Vulcan mind melding with your Nona.

Don: Meatballs

2 lbs ground sirloin
    2 eggs
    Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
    some finely diced onion
    finely crushed garlic
    (in a rush you can use powder of each to taste)
    salt
    pepper
    italian seasoning

Take off any rings, wash hands, throw ingredients in a big bowl, and dig in. When thoroughly mixed, roll into whatever size meatballs you prefer and drop into pot.

• Thanks Leslie!! I did not get clearance from ANY of the Nona's to give out the meatball recipe-Only thing it is probably safe to say is, the Nona's did not put onion in their meatballs.
    x:9 I though, may just try it!
  • just a little - zings them up a bit.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-27-04 AT 11:43AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I believe I'll try some fresh garden picked hot peppers along with the onions to zing it up a bit.x;-)
  • This deserves a bump - I finally got brave enough to make it and it is DELICIOUS! The dump and stir is the hardest for me to get used to, because it turns out a little different every time. I also made half batches the first few times to make sure I didn't screw it up and have to throw it all out, but it has been great every time. It freezes well, so I'm going to do a full batch next time.

I also have to admit (hope I'm not incurring the wrath of the Nonas here) that I added veggies to my sauce - mushrooms, onion, green pepper. I sauteed them then added the garlic and went from there. I also can't get crushed tomatoes or tomato paste with Italian seasonings, so I used the plain and upped the herbs (which I had to use dried because - again - fresh is not readily available in my neck of the woods). I used a sweet Marsala wine in an attempt to be "authentic" and it worked well.

I don't think ScorpioHR is still around, but my thanks to her and the Nonas!