25% LESS FAT!

Hormel has come out with a new bacon. Black Label Bacon, Center Cut, 25% less fat than regular bacon, says the cardboard label. I sliced the package open and peeled the cover off, had my pan heatin' up already. I noticed what they meant by center cut. They cut off two and a half inches from each end of the bacon, thus leaving the 'center' of the strip. And THAT makes it magically 25% shorter, thus 25% less fat. Now I know how it feels to be a blonde!

Comments

• 60 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hormel is headquartered here in Minnesota, thus the logic...or lack thereof. When these fine folks aren't reducing your bacon fat, they're sitting in the state legislature passing very logical employment laws.

Come and visit the Hormel Spam museum sometime. I did not make that up either. It really exists.

By the way, Spam now has 25% more bacon fat in it.
  • Interesting that the Spam museum is in Minnesota, but that Austin, TX is the site of Spam-o-rama, an annual homage to the most famous potted meat product. Spam-o-rama defies description; let's just say there are cooking and sculpting activities involved.
  • Ironically, the Spam museum is located in Austin, MN at 1937 Spam Blvd.
  • The irony continues. I know a dog named Austin whose favorite is spam. On his birthday he gets bacon. His owner's name is Larry (Griffin).
  • The plot thickens. There is obviously some sort of connection between pork products, Minnesota, Austin, and guys named Larry. My guess is the dog is the linchpin of this deal.
  • I wonder if Rockie has any meds left:-? Where's Pork when you need him
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-23-04 AT 12:25PM (CST)[/font][br][br]My connection is that I am fortunate enough to live in a state where I can talk about the absurd and not have to make it up.

A side note: I've tried Spam...once. I gotta believe they make it from the stuff that the hot dog people reject. Say it ain't so, PORK.

• Ain't nothin' like a piece of fried Spam about twice a year with thousand island drizzled over it! (hot dog people reject only toenails and lips)
  • Wonder if it's true that the name came from the acronym they used for it when they were developing it? Spam = Specially Processed Animal Matter.

"I'm pink, therefore I'm Spam." x;-)
  • My SO loves the stuff while I can barely watch him eat it. Last week he asked me to pick up a can when I was heading to the grocery store. I ask, "Where is it?" He says, "In the canned meat aisle." I say, "Very funny." Go to the store - and there is ACTUALLY an aisle in the store named that. I can't believe all the years I've shopped and I never noticed that before.
  • Aaah, yes. There is nothing like opening that can and getting the first whiff . . . I slice it up and eat it with a fork. Never tried frying it.
  • My husband's favorite Sunday breakfast is eggs over easy, fried spam and sauted green peppers. Wheat toast is also required to push it all around. It's really quite good, and keeps you going for a morning of ice fishing x:9:DD!
  • Oh man, I'm headed to the grocery store! My family will complain, but that just means more SPAM for me!
  • How did this thread go from bacon to spam? And, more importantly, where is the Monty Python troupe to break out into song? "Spam, spam, spam, spam..."
  • Yes, in getting off the topic, we have lost sight of the point made in the initial post, which is that by removing 25% of the volume of the food, you will lose 25% of the fat. Equally shocking, you will lose (at least) 25% of the calories. This notion of consuming less food in order to consume less calories has been tragically overlooked by many in the weight loss community.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-24-04 AT 07:47AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I like KIWI'S post best of all. I've never been ice fishing. Yes, McMel, get out a skillet, spray some PAM on it and bring it to medium and drop in two quarter inch slices of spam. Flip over at least twice and admire that burgundy, sizzling outer edge. Twice a year is the limit. It's like drinking a case of beer. You should not do that but TWICE a year!

The point was, Whirlwind, the packaging was deceptive. It screamed out from the meat case that it had less fat. It's a gimmick of course. It could have just said on the label, "This bacon is smaller than our normal bacon". Probably what most folks will do is fry three pieces instead of two when they see the size of it.
  • Don, you've never been ice fishing, yet you instinctively bring up 'drinking a case of beer'! It sounds to me like you'd be a natural for ice fishing. If you have a shanty with a wood burning stove, you can make brats or warm up some Jambalaya to go with the beer you leave outside on the ice. If the fish aren't biting and you are tired of lying about how big last years' catch was, you set wood for the stove out on the ice and use a liter of soda for bowling. There is usually a pool on who will drop their cell phone into the lake, too. x:-)
  • Also if you are driving out to your ice shack in November and March, remember to keep all your car doors open.....just in case.
  • All the better to enjoy the balmy November or March weather, right Larry? x}>
  • That's right, Kiwi. The balmier the weather, the more doors you throw open and the faster you drive. There's nothing like the sound of cracking ice underneath your wheels on a brisk drive out to da' shack.
  • I love it! I really would love to experience this ice fishing stuff. Today I bought some brats and don't know if I did them justice tonite. I put two in a cast iron skilet. Poured half a can of beer in. Shaved off some onions into the beer. sprinkled some spices, salt, pepper, oregano and garlic. Put a top on the skillet and simmered on low for almost an hour. Man-O-Man was that good. Is this an acceptable way to cook brats? I almost heard Brett Favre calling signals. You know he lives about 80 miles south of here in MS.
  • By George, I think he's got it!
  • Brats done so well you can hear Brett is a very high achievement for a rookie. Yes, your instincts served you well in your brat preparation. I think I'm getting hungry...
  • I haven't made the trip yet myself, but I know people who have gone to Kiln when down in your neck of the woods just to pay homage to our beloved 4's roots. I have been meaning to thank you and Pork for letting us have him for a bit. We'll try to return him to his tractor undamaged and, hopefully, no time soon.x:D
  • I'm sure you know his dad died earlier this year. He was his high school coach too. Brett's two daughters live with his wife's sister in Hattiesburg, between Jackson and Kiln and go to school there. Brett said in a recent article that they wanted the kids to have a connection here and the kids love the school. Apparently the parents fly down here constantly. I'm sure the sister has been put up in a nice house from a Packer's meager payroll check.

I told some stories on here once about how much of a carousing, drinking rounder Brett used to be and his brother who has identical predisposition. Some lady on the Forum, I forget who, private mailed me to say Brett stood her son up in an autograph situation when the child was ill. She implied he was a bum. I know that must have been before he reformed his behavior a bit.

I'm doing t-bones tonite, but first I'll grill brats.
  • A good chunk of the state was stunned when Brett's dad died. The way he handled himself in the Raider game the next day was quite a testament to his character. He was very much the carouser when he first got here. His brother looks like him and has lived in the area too. I'd hear people say they thought they saw Brett out the night before a game x:o and then they'd realize it was his brother #-o. The wild days seem well behind him. He wants to go back to MS and his family and the way he grew up. No fancy citificatin' for him. I gotta admire that.
  • Yes, Don, I got the point -- my "take" on the point was intended to be facetious, as in x:D x;-)

The packaging was, indeed, shamefully deceptive. Another good alternative would be "Objects in this little cellaphane window are smaller than they appear."
  • I can't believe I'm jumping into this, but here goes!!!

Don D - try dipping those Spam slices in egg and cracker crumbs before frying them. I'm not a big Spam-fan, but my parents swear by it (like you only twice a year).

Secondly, you don't just BOIL a brat! That's a crime!!!! Soak or boil them in the beer of your choice with a few onions, etc. Then GRILL them until nicely browned & bubbly! YUM! =P~
  • Well, a TV commercial running now says it's a crime to poke a fork in a brat while cooking it. So how would soaking it do anything if the beer couldn't penetrate the skin? I hate to be technical but I do want to be correct in my procedure next time.
  • You know, that's a good question. I don't poke holes in my brats either. I would be left to assume that the beer CAN soak through the skin...?