Aphrodisiac Tomatoes

I just learned on The Food Channel the history of fried green tomatoes. I've thought all my life that they were a Southern invention since we do think them a delicacy. The guy said several hundred years ago the Vatican decided ripe, red tomatoes were an aphrodisiac; therefore, Italians were obligated to abstain from the red ones and started eating their tomatoes green, fried. This may not count as a recipe, but, I think I'll go out and pick one.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-01-04 AT 08:20AM (CST)[/font][br][br]And speaking of tomatoes, I HAD RIPE ONES MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND! I have never known a squirrel to eat a tomato, but, I missed one of the ripe ones when I went outside Saturday morning. I spotted it on a patio bench, half eaten. Had to be a squirrel. That was a might fine tomato too. I'm still fuming.
  • Don, there is only one answer to your situation: squirrel stew.

Annie

• Any guy that turkey hunts MUST also squirl hunt - that would be justified you know!!! =P~
  • Don't know 'bout the "aphrodisiac" rumor but momma always said, "There's two things that money can't buy; and that's true love and home grown ta-maters!"

• Dutch, your momma might have said it first, but here's the musical version (words and music by Guy Clark):

There ain't nothin' in the world that I like better than bacon 'n lettuce 'n home grown tomatoes

Up in the mornin', out in the garden;
    get you a ripe one, dont pick a hard 'un.

Plant 'em in the spring, eat 'em in the summer. All winter without 'em is a culinary bummer

I forget all about the sweatin and the diggin
    every time I go out and pick me a big 'un.

Home grown tomatoes, home grown tomatoes - what would life be like without home grown tomatoes? Only two things that money can't buy -
    That's true love and home grown tomatoes.

You can go out to eat and that's for sure but there's nothin a home grown tomatoe won't cure. Put 'em in a salad, put'em in a stew.
    You can make your own tomato juice
    You can eat 'em with eggs, eat 'em with gravy you can eat 'em with beans, pinto or navy.

Put 'em on the side, put 'em in the middle - home grown tomatoes on a hot cake griddle.

Home grown tomatoes, home grown tomatoes - what would life be like without home grown tomatoes? Only two things that money can't buy -

If I's to change this life I lead,
    You could call me Johnny Tomato Seed,
    'cause I know what this country needs:
    Home grown tomatoes in every yard you see.

When I die don't bury me
    in a box in a cold dark cemetery.
    Out in the garden would be much better
    'cause i could be pushin 'up a home grown tomatoes