Easter Dinner Suggestions

Does anyone have original dishes that aren't the same old thing? I'd like to try something new. My family has done the Easter brunch thing several times before along with the traditional ham & turkey. Any suggestions?

Comments

• 24 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Roasted leg of lamb is my favorite.
  • I'm going to do a Memphis Wet Mop and sweet potato skins. I saw them both on Emeril Live. You can go to [url]www.foodnewtwork.com[/url] for the recipes.
  • FRIED TURKEY
    Just ask Don D for the recipe!

I am so glad to see a new posting on this area. I look at times and and haven't seen anything for awhile. I thought it might have been due to the recent tension on the forum.
    Spring is in the air folks! :DD
  • Can't find it Larry and Memphis Wet Mop just sounds so appealing what the heck is it?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-29-04 AT 02:39PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Basically, it's pulled pork and takes about two days to make it. The final stage is cooking it at 250 for 8 hours.

Try this: Go back to the website and scroll down the TV shows and click on Emeril Live. Go down to the section "Tracing the Mississippi". Go down to "Barbequed Pulled Pork..." and click on it. As Emeril would say, "There you have it."
  • Thanks! We love pulled pork, but hadn't seen this recipe. Will have to give it a try.
  • We like Portuguese sweet bread French toast with butter and maple syrup (although it does put you in a diabetic coma) for breakfast.
  • Try pineapple stuffing to go along with your ham. Unfortunately i don't know the receipe but maybe someone else has one. I had it at a dinner once and it was delicious.
  • Dang...I didn't know people still did "Easter Dinner". Wish someone would invite me I'm getting hungry.
  • I don't know if this was what you were looking for, but it's going to be part of my dinner this year. It's very good.

Scalloped Pineapple – Marilyn Cole
    (An excellent accompaniment to your Easter ham.)
    ½ cup melted butter
    4 cups fresh bread cubes
    3 eggs
    ½ cup brown sugar
    ½ cup white sugar
    ½ cup evaporated milk
    20 oz. crushed pineapple in juice; do not drain
    cinnamon

Combine bread and butter, set aside. Combine eggs, sugar and evaporated milk; beat with mixer. Add bread mixture and pineapple, stir well and pour into lightly greased 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake uncovered at 350° for 1 hour or until set.

Annie

• Something we usually include, is a fruit salad called "Frog Eye Salad" (it includes small pasta called acine de pepi, that's what looks like frog eyes)

May sound strange, but is very good - the recipe makes a lot, so I usually make this for a crowd. If anyone is interested, I'll try & post it soon.
  • Please post it! If its pasta it's got to be good. I'll have it with my carb free Lemon Mer1nge pie!
    Thanks.
  • I'll make myself a note to bring in the recipe tomorrow to post!
  • Here is the recipe, as promised, for fruit salad with the strange name...make sure to leave enough time because the first part needs to refrigerate overnight.

Frog Eye Salad

8 oz. Acini di Pepe (soup macaroni)
    1/2 tsp. salt & 1/2 tsp. oil

Cook in boiling water according to directions on box, drain and rinse. Cool to room temperature.

1/2 c. sugar
    1 Tbsp. flour
    1/2 cup pineapple juice
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 beaten egg
    1/2 tsp. lemon juice

Combine sugar, flour & salt. Add pineapple juice and egg. Cook on medium heat until thick. Add lemon juice. Cool to room temp. Combine this mixture with the cooked pasta. Refrigerate overnight.

Next day -
    Add the following to the mixture that has sat overnight:

(Drain juice from all before adding)
    2 cans mandarin oranges
    1 can chunk pineapple
    1 can crushed pineapple
    1 can fruit cocktail
    1 jar maraschino cherries

12 oz. cool whip - thawed

Mix all together and decorate the top with 2 cups of mini marshmallows - Refrigerate until ready to serve.

This makes A LOT. And it is so good.

Enjoy!

• Thanks - it sounds great! My grandkids will like this too, I think.
  • Sounds like it will feed a crowd.......... I'll try it ...thanks.......
  • Here's a roasted pork loin that's great and pretty easy. It gets away from ham, yet stays in the pork family and is fancy enough for a holiday meal.

3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon dried rosemary
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 pounds boneless pork loin roast
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup white wine

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Crush garlic with rosemary, salt and pepper, making a paste. Pierce meat with a sharp knife in several places and press the garlic paste into the openings. Rub the meat with the remaining garlic mixture and olive oil.

Place pork loin into oven for 2 hours, turning and basting with pan liquids. After 2 hours remove roast to a platter. Heat the wine in the pan and stir to loosen browned bits of food on the bottom. Serve with pan juices.

• Here's a tasty, fairly simple roast pork loin recipe. It gets you away from ham, but not too far. It's also fancy enough for a holiday dinner without being a huge pain to make.

3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon dried rosemary
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 pounds boneless pork loin roast
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup white wine

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2 Crush garlic with rosemary, salt and pepper, making a paste. Pierce meat with a sharp knife in several places and press the garlic paste into the openings. Rub the meat with the remaining garlic mixture and olive oil.

3 Place pork loin into oven for 2 hours, turning and basting with pan liquids. After 2 hours remove roast to a platter. Heat the wine in the pan and stir to loosen browned bits of food on the bottom. Serve with pan juices.

Makes 8 servings

• Thanks for the suggestions, this is exacly what I was looking for. Just need to spice up our dinner a bit.........
  • Hire someone to jump out of a gigantic egg. Now THAT would spice things up!
  • There's 106 recipes posted here and somebody's asking for a menu idea? But, I do see a few new ones have been posted now on this thread.

Note: The preceeding is my personal opinion and has no value beyond that. Although it may be 'sorta offensive' or 'indeed offensive' to someone out there, it is offered without regard to that possibility. Should you find yourself alarmed by my post, you may privately mail me to protest or you may alert the principal's office. x:-)
  • This potato dish is a great side to a ham or bar-b-que. If you add chopped ham to it, it is great on a breakfast brunch table also. But it is the complete opposite of low calorie! Yummy.

Potato Casserole

2 cups frozen shredded hash browns
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    ½ cup chopped onion
    1 stick margarine, melted
    1 pint sour cream
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 tsp salt
    ½ tsp pepper

Mix all except potatoes. Fold in potatoes. Mix ½ cup melted margarine with 2 cups of crushed corn flakes. Sprinkle over top of mixture in a 9 x 13 pan. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.