Don's Sausage Balls

I just made a batch of my Christmas Sausage Balls and thought I'd share. Not the sausage balls, the recipe:

*16 oz. tube sausage. I use Jimmy Dean, regular.
*Two 8 oz packages finely shredded sharp cheddar.
*1 cup Bisquick.
*2 T each; salt, black pepper, lemon pepper
*1 tsp garlic powder
*(optional) 2 T juice from bottle of jalepeno peppers and chopped pepper slices to your liking.

Mix all ingredients well in large bowl or on cookie sheet, kneeding a large ball consistently until the Bisquick and cheese are perfectly blended with the sausage.

You can use your imagination as to what else you may want to add to the mix depending on the tastes of your family. I used the jalepenos today for the first time, and boy, was this GREAT!

Working from large ball of the mixture, pinch off enough to roll 1-inch balls. Place balls on cookie sheet lined with waxed paper. Cookie sheet will hold approximately 80. Place your cookie sheets in the freezer for approximately an hour. Take them out and roll them loose and bag them in a gallon-size ziplock, taking out just enough to bake for each consumption.

I cook mine in a 400 degree preheated oven for exactly 20 minutes, in a large cast iron skillet, rolling them over once in mid process.

The process results in grease in the skillet, so don't try to bake them on a cookie sheet.

Remove skillet from oven, spoon out your balls, set them in a paper towel-lined dish for a moment or two, serve and enjoy. Average treat is five or six sausage balls per person. This is a great treat for a breakfast snack.

Total yield approximately 80-100 sausage balls.

Remember if you use an iron skillet to never let soap touch the skillet. Remove excess grease with paper towel and rub in remainder well with fresh towel. If anything sticks, which is doubtful, put a cup of water in skillet and set aside for 30 minutes to soak. Gently scour. Never scrape with spatula or use soap. Your skillet is now reseasoned for next time.

Comments