Holiday Cookies

My church has a cookie exchange every December. I'd like to take something other than the same old stuff. Does anyone have a deliciously fabulous cookie recipe that's not too tedious to make and can make a big batch? Thanks!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have a simple cookie recipe that is very good. It makes about 7 dozen cookies. They are called Mandelschnitten (Almond cookies). It's a German name.

Preheat oven to 350F.

You need: 1lb ground almonds
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup butter (2 sticks)
    3 eggs (separate 1 egg white & keep for later use)
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 1/2 to 3 cups flour

Beat butter until soft, add sugar gradually (will get lumpy if you do it all at once). Blend until very light and creamy.

Beat in 2 eggs and 1 egg yolk, one at a time.

Add salt and 3/4 lb. ground almonds. (use leftover almonds for coating the tops.)

Add enough flour to make the dough the right consistency to roll. (too much flour will make the dough crumbly.) Can be chilled until you are ready to roll it.

Roll it out to about 1/8" thick. Cut into 1" X 2" rectangles.

Brush with slightly beaten egg-white and invert each cookie into a dish/bowl with the leftover ground almonds, to coat the top of each cookie. Place the cookies on the cookie sheet and bake at 350F for approximately 12 to 13 minutes or until brown around the edges.

If you like almonds this is a great recipe. I can come up with something else if this doesn't work.
  • mdm,

I love almonds and want to try this recipe. One question: How finely do the almonds have to be ground? Give me an idea of consistency -- are we talking ground to a powder or still kinda bumpy?

Thanks!
  • Whirlwind2-

It should not be ground to a powder, but should be a little smaller than/or about the same size as granulated sugar. So it will be slightly larger than powder.

You can grind it to a powder, but I find you can taste the almonds more if you don't make it powder.

My grandfather's sister used to make these for the holidays. I love them and hope you do as well.

You're welcome for the recipe. Enjoy!
  • These taste like Andes mints and yield a bunch depending on how you cut them.

Chocolate Mint Bars

Bottom Layer:
    1 C Flour
    1 C sugar
    1 stick butter
    4 eggs
    1 can chocolate syrup (16 oz)
    1/2 t peppermint extract
    Mix all and pour into a greased floured 9x13 pan (I use one a little bigger pan to make the bottom layer thinner). Bake at 350 25 - 35 minutes, depending on the size of pan to a cake consistency.

Middle layer:
    2 C powdered sugar
    2 T butter
    2 T milk
    1 t peppermint extract
    couple drops green food coloring
    Beat together until smooth (I melt the butter). Put on cake layer and let stand until it sets, approximately 20 minutes.

Top layer:
    3 T butter
    3 squares semi-sweet chocolate
    Melt in saucepan and spread gently over middle layer as heat may cause it to melt. Cool completely in refrigerator before cutting into squares.
  • Both of these sound very good--thanks! I believe I'll make both recipes. I'm sure my family won't mind!