Christmas gift ideas

Ok, post your cool Christmas gift ideas here or what you hope you might find under your tree this year.

What I Want:
The Flip Ultra - a pretty cool gift for the gadget person in your life. You can find the Flip Ultra for about $100 on Ebay or Amazon. Its about the size of a pack of cigarettes and it shoots 60 minutes of video which can be easily downloaded on to a computer via the built-in USB.

What I Need:
A new rechargeable razor

What I Want:
An iPod - I must be the last person in the US to not have an iPod.

What I Need:
Pants

Comments

• 30 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have some pants I'm not using, Paul. What size do you wear?
  • I want a Bo-Flex for Christmas.
  • Ive heard those Bo-flex make great clothes hangers eventually.
  • Paul you are wrong: I am the next to the last person without IPod. I do not have one and I do not want one either.
    What I want right now more then anything is to find a home for Duke, my neighbor's dog who was left behind (in their fenced in back yard) when they moved!
    These useless idiots (husband, pregnant wife, and 2 girls) left friday night without the dog. I was shocked when I saw him in the back yard saturday morning!
    I contacted other neighbors and right now we are keeping Duke fed. But of course he is out in the cold and rain. I have contacted several shelters and they are all full. My last recourse would be to contact the city: because Duke is still residing on a private property no one but the city animal control people would be able to remove him. At least this is what I was told.
    Wish me luck on my search.
    I guess I consider this my Xmas wish!!

• What type of dog is he? Is he mean? I take in strays often and have cousins in NC who do the same. I know I will become the crazy little old lady with the house of full of animals that everyone talks about.

Seriously, if I can help let me know. That story broke my heart.

Paul - even my 76 year old mom has a Flip! I bought it for Mother's day. It is really neat and takes great videos. You'll enjoy it.
  • I wont enjoy mine until someone steps up and buys me one. Come on people. Lets get this done!
  • Sorry, Best Buy won't ship to your address... they do have in store pickup available.
  • Just about everyone has asked me what kind of dog he is and I do not know. I do know that he is a mutt, black, and very friendly.
    I just spoke with a very kind and caring lady at one of the shelters here in Fayetteville: she told me that her shelter also is full right now (she said there are tons of people who abandon dogs and animals) but she'll try to help me. She also told me something that absolutely floored me: black dogs are not favored for adoption and they are the first ones to be put to sleep because they are not in demand!! Unbelievable!
    I hope she'll be able to help so he can be happy in a nice home. Thank you for your response. You really have no idea how upset I still am.
    I even got my staff to help finding Duke a home! Thanks again
  • Unfortunately that is true and I have a black cocker spaniel to prove it! What about your local ASPCA or Humane Society? I am a member of both organizations and know the good work they do.

You are a bit far from my family - Charlotte, Hendersonville and Lake Lure. Please keep me posted on his progress. If I didn't think it would traumatize the little guy I would have him shipped here. I have a big backyard and the cocker needs a playmate!
  • Why did the people move? Were they foreclosed? A lot of people have lost their homes recently and many are leaving their pets behind. There are several groups around the country who have stepped up to help out.

My husband has been working flat out for months trying to help people about to foreclosed go through a short sale (they still lose their home, but it is a much smaller blow to their credit rating). One item on his agenda is always to find out about any pets. Most stories on the current housing crisis focus on the poor people losing their homes or the renters who get evicted without warning (and lose their deposits). I have only seen one story on the poor animals who are often left behind.

If the people have lost their home, then the property belongs to the bank. There should be a notice on the door and the bank will probably be happy to have to save the dog. If there is a new owner they are probably listed on the tax roles (happens shortly after the paperwork is filed). If they were renting, you can probably find the property owner through the same method and get their permission to take the dog.

Most property tax roles are accessible for free via the internet. If you have trouble finding yours, let me know what county you are in and I will do my best to help out.

Good luck!

Nae
  • First of all thank you so much for the support and the understanding about this poor little mutt.
    The people did not lose their place: they just moved to another location oblivious of the dog they brought into their home themselves!
    I have the name of the wife: I know she is in the military and I know she works at the Jag office here at Ft Bragg: I am trying to find her.
    I am keeping Duke fed but I cannot go over the fence to retrieve him: I was told by the "Liberty Dog Rescue Ctr" (that I contacted and that is helping me to find Duke a home) that because he is residing on "private property" it would be not recommeded that I do this. The lady at the sheleter advised me to call the city: once they'll pick him up then she'll call them for the adoption.
    I apologize to Paul for modifying his subject: hope he gets what he wants for Xmas and some more.
    Ciao
  • Hey Paul! Notice how the focus of this thread went from what you want to how to help an abandoned animal?x0:)
  • Joannie - aren't those two things the same? x:D

• #-o You are so right. How did I let that slip by me?
  • So, what's the worst thing that can happen to you if you go over the fence? I don't know what kind of juries you have in your neck of the woods, but around here they'd give you a medal.
  • As owner of a wonderful "rescue" cat, I am totally supportive of you Marina. Good for you for caring and getting involved.

Of course, if someone would buy me a camcorder, we could make a video of the dog and get him adopted faster...

• Ok here is the latest: I just received an e mail from the "Rescue" place and I was told that it looks like a home was found for Duke. My husband took in fact a short video of Duke and I e mailed it to Monique, the lady at the "Rescue" place.
    So I'll keep my fingers crossed!!!!
    It would be a wonderful early Xmas present !!
    Ciao
  • My wish for Christmas is for Duke to get a good home -- keep us posted!

(I also wish for world peace but doubt I can get that one.)

Cheryl
  • Cheryl,
    I will keep my fingers, toes - and anything else possible - crossed in the hope that your second wish may come true!
  • That story is heartbreaking. As an animal lover (and a new mom to a 16 week old mutt that is trying to play with our two adopted cats), I do not understand how a person can do this to their pet. It's like leaving a family member behind. If they no longer wanted Duke, they should have made arrangements for him PRIOR to moving away and abandoning him. The wife works for JAG at Ft. Bragg and left her dog behind?! She should be given a dishonorable discharge, seriously.
  • OK, now that the dog has a new home, back to our selfish wants/needs for Christmas!

(I really am glad for ol' Rover, though. How hard would it have been for them to at least drop him off at the local shelter, instead of possibly letting him freeze/starve in the empty back yard?)

I want:
    - to spend Christmas with my kids and family in Nebraska/Iowa. This may actually happen this year. My kids have NEVER spent Christmas with my entire immediate family, let alone had a white Christmas.

I need:
    - money to afford the plane tickets. Working on that.

I want:
    - um, I don't really want anything else. Not even an ipod. No, I don't have one either. I still listen to the radio or to CD's.
  • Who said the dog has a new home? Did I miss something? Did Pres. Elect Obama take him?
  • "Ok here is the latest: I just received an e mail from the "Rescue" place and I was told that it looks like a home was found for Duke."

• Q, you know Paul can't remember things unless it benefits him.
  • My 12 year old niece, Emma, e-mailed her Christmas list yesterday to the family. She only wants two things: white ps2 & singstar mic. Apparently one of her ‘friends’ has turned her onto something so horrible and it is only available on PS2. Now Emma is hooked on … 80’s Karaoke. We are planning an intervention. x:-(

Q, I booked my nephew’s ticket yesterday and the fare was the lowest I have ever paid. Hope you guys can make it Home for the Holidays!

• Hey, in my day, a bottle of shampoo and the bathroom mirror were all we needed for "karaoke".
  • Don't even need the shampoo bottle. I just need some old CD's and a long drive home. The drivers of neighboring cars also prefer that my window-roller-upper works.
  • Ever since watching an episode of the Office online last weekend I have had "Son of A Preacher Man" going through my head.

Its a fine song but it makes it hard for me to hear the voices....
  • Don't your voices sound like the backup singers?
  • I just used my hair brush. Worked just as well.