Business Closing...Bad HR

What is with Round Table? 7 Round Table Pizza Restaurants just closed in our area. Locked the doors and put notices on them.

Employees had no clue, they went to work and on the door it said you no longer have a job the restaurant is closed you can pick up your check at some lawyer's office.

How cold is that? I can't believe a company would do that or HR would allow them to.

Are they doing it all over or just here in the Treasure Valley?

Shirley

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have one about a mile from my house and will have to check to see if it is closed.
  • Just called and the one near me is open. Apparently they are individually owned.
  • The irony is that their motto was "The last HONEST pizza."
  • Cooker's in our area did that a few years ago. No warning. Locked the doors, put up a sign and they were gone! It's unbelievable that a company would/could do that.
  • We had a restaurant do that here this past spring. Maybe it's a food business thing.
  • Guess so... we had the same thing with a Burger King a few years back. One day is was open for business as usual and the next day it was closed. Talk on the street was no advance notice/warning to the employees or the community.
  • >We had a restaurant do that here this past spring. Maybe it's a food business
    >thing.

Yes, very typical for the restaurant industry. Same thing happened to my boyfriend. He had worked at the same restaurant for 20 years, then one day he showed up for work and a manager met him at the door and told him to go home because the restaurant was closed - forever. Even if they weren't going to give notice, you'd think that after twenty years of service they could afford him the courtesy of a phone call on the day of his shift telling him not to bother making the drive in. It was pretty disgusting.

Incidentally, I believe part of the reason this behavior is common in the restaurant industry is because management is concerned that if they give notice that the restaurant is closing, staff will start giving away free food and/or drinks to customers, or take it for themselves, etc. (incidents of employee theft in the restaurant industry already are pretty high as it is, and common sense and at least one behavioral study indicate that employees are more likely to steal if they know their employment with the restaurant is about to come to an end). But still, like I said, at least a phone call to the employee's home on the day of closure is better than having them come into work to a sign on the door.
  • I think if I were the management I would have called all employees in to work and had a conference in the restaurant, fed them all breakfast, and let the employees know about the closing. Explain the reasons , give them information to sign up for unemployment, and thank them for their service to the company.

It would be the least that they could do.

Shirley