Tiger Woods

I know almost no one on this forum watches golf but I don't care. It needs to be said.

Tiger Woods is the soap. The US Open at Torrey Pines makes all other sporting championships look like Bridge night at the community center.

Comments

• 26 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Paul, you got that right. I don't normally watch a lot of golf, but the U.S. Open was as good as it gets. The only bad thing is that it didn't end on Sunday. I wasn't able to watch the playoff yesterday, but it sounds like it just kept getting better and better. tk
  • Wrong Paul, I rank golf right up there in importance and significance with professional bowling. And maybe just a tad higher than professional wrestling.
  • Golf makes no sense to me. You have that little white ball in your hand, you knock the soap out of it with a club and then you go chase it down. Talk about an exercise in futility. Give me the golf cart and a cooler of Bloody Mary's.
  • "cow pasture pool"? Now that is actually a new one to me.

I know that watching golf isnt everyone's cup of tea but when Tiger is playing its not really the same thing. He is the best player to ever live. I didnt watch a golf tournament over the weekend, I watched history being made.

Tony, I taped the US Open playoff on Monday and carefully avoided all media (and golf buddies) until I could get home and watch the back nine.

The great thing about golf is its just so pure. No referees, judges, or umpires who can sway the outcome of the game. You either hit the ball in the hole or you don't. No debate.
  • I didn't get to watch it either but managed to catch the sudden death finish on the radio. It may be an age thing but not that long ago I couldn't imagine watching golf let alone listening to it on the radio! That's like listening to NASCAR! But Tiger has changed the sport and it is different when he is playing.
    I am an occasional golfer and I do enjoy watching it on TV. In fact in my opinion, golf is the best sport to watch while taking a nap! You can doze off for an hour or so and pick right up on the action; action being a relative term. And when Tiger's not in the tournament you can extend the nap time!

• I have lived in Texas all my life (so far) and grew up hearing golf called pasture pool. I grew up out in the country and always thought that phase was just something country folk used. Glad to hear I was wrong.

I personally do not find anything interesting about golf or NASCAR. My mother loves to watch golf on TV and my husband watches NASCAR everytime there is a race on. I just don't get the excitement about watching cars go round and round. I guess to each his own.
  • My grandfather always used the term cow pasture pool and he lived all his life in a small town in PA. He actually probably got it from farmer friends or relatives years ago. But, I do enjoy stock car racing or any kind of car racing.
  • Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz xI-) xI-)
  • I have never bothered to watch any kind of golf on TV before, but watched the hilights Sunday night. I really enjoyed the interviews of Tiger and Rocco. Both are well spoken, reasonably humble, and good sports.

Tiger has some kind of glow around him at all times and it's not because the picture on my TV is bad. Talk about a person with presence...
  • You know, Rita, you can't get those 10 seconds of your life that you spent typing "ZZZZZZZZZ" back.
  • I have a dear friend that is an avid golfer. She also volunteers at all the tournaments. Her description of Tiger is completely opposite of Q's.

He is arrogant, standoffish and rude. He has no patience for his admirers and treats them badly especially when asked for an autograph. The people that work at the tournaments are treated even worse.

Paulie, do I need to explain everything to you? My post merely meant that golf puts me to sleep. The time you spent watching was wasted, not mine. I was doing something positive and constructive.
  • Wow. Wish I could have publicists and tv people edit everything people hear and see about me... I would be so totally amazing! x:D

Still, the guy has charisma.
  • Both the NY Times and the Chicago Tribune have sent bulletins saying Tiger is going to have reconstructive knee surgery and be out for the rest of the year. That makes last weekend's accomplishments even more remarkable. tk
  • You just have to remember that this guy has had the entire world focused on him for so long. People act wierd around celebrities and superstars. Some gain affirmation by associating themselves with the stars. Fans can be extremely rude and intrusive. Over time, the unending stress of having people pushing themselves on you would cause someone to become guarded and standoffish. Tiger is an extremely private person and so its probably even more difficult for him.

Overall, for a guy that has so much pressure and hype surrounding him, he has done amazingly well. He has avoided scandal and been gracious to others when they have made unfortunate statements about him (ex. the "lynching" comment made by a female golf sportscaster).

Professional atheletes at the upper echelons of their sports generally are arrogant. It comes with the territory. You have to have supreme confidence in your abilities. That's what makes people like Byron Nelson and Arnold Palmer so special. They were the best of the best but they also were able to remain very grounded and caring to others.

I dont judge Tiger's personality because I just dont know what its like to walk in his shoes. But he is truly a phenomenon and his achievements and the mastery he has achieved (through both sheer talent and incredible hard work) is commendable.

Golf, like other professional sports, are ultimately entertainment and nobody is quite as electrifying (in any sport) as Tiger Woods.
  • Sorry Paulie. I cannot and will not make excuses for a millionaire who is rude, crude and obnoxious.

The stories that are told by the people that work the tournament in Phoenix when he deemed to play our course are consistent.

• Yeah, we all know about the Phoenix open. Without a doubt its the loudest, most obnoxious group of fans in all of golf. Hordes of drunken fans line the fairways and amuse themselves with endless hoots and hollers. They are disruptive and disorderly. The Phoenix Open is the Jerry Springer Show of golf tourneys.

So I'm going to remain skeptical of your pals who are involved. Perhaps they got their feelings hurt when Tiger didnt acknowledge their presence and show his gratitude for their "volunteer" work.

He was probably distracted by the crowd hitting beach balls in the gallery...

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-19-08 AT 07:42AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Amen. God bless Saint Tiger.
  • My understanding from the people reporting on the tournaments is Tiger is all business on the golf course. He's working and really doesn't acknowledge anyone. In fact he has walked right by Jack Nicklaus (currently the greatest to ever play the game) without even saying hello during a tournament. Jack didn't think he was rude, he believed he was focused (as reported).

My experience is the same. I was lucky enough to have clubhouse passes on Sunday at the Master's this year. I was able to access the area where the players were hanging out. Tiger walked right by me didn't even look at me. I said good luck and went about my business. He was focused on the first tee.

We have a facility in Orlando, FL, very close to where Tiger lives. One of our employees saw him at Perkin's Restaurant. Of course he had a huge entourage. A family was vacation from Japan and went up to him for an autograph. He asked if they had a pen and of course they didn't. He waited for them to get one and signed his autograph.

The only other experience I can relate is second hand from another friend. Tiger is building his 1st golf course about 30 miles from my house. It's in what is called thte Cliff's Communites. You join and you can play several different golf courses. I have a very good friend that is the head golf pro at one of the courses. He, his wife and child went to the press conference to announce the new course. Tiger was very gracious to everyone that attended- both kids and adults. He signed autographs and talked with everyone that wanted to talk.

• Smace, I wasn't able to read anything past the words "I was lucky enough to have clubhouse passes on Sunday at the Master's this year."

Are you freakin kidding me? That must have been amazing. I have never been to the Masters but I know there are a few HERO posters from that area that go regularly.

I saw Tiger in 98 at the PGA Championship in Sahalee. I followed him for a few holes and happened to be in the tree-lined area where he hit one of his shots. So I sat by the ball and ended up just a few feet from him as he contemplated how to hit a rescue shot.

98 was the year he re-grooved his swing and so he wasn't at the top of his game. Vijay Singh went on to win the tournament and become a major player in golf.

I agree with your "work" comment. Not only is Tiger at work, he is working with thousands of people watching his every move. Its no suprise he has to be totally focused.
  • Paul, I'm a lttle late responding to this subject, but since you are discussing the most remarkable sports figure in our lifetime, I had to respond. I agree with all of your comments! I often say that we are experiencing history by observing the best golfer we will ever see. I don't think it is a question of golf being boring to watch, it may be, but not when Tiger Woods is showing us how it should be done.

I'm not a sports enthusiast, but how can you not appreciate a master at work. I feel the same way when i watch old films of Muhammed Ali boxing, Gayle Sayers running or more recently, Apollo Ono on short track. Wow, to be able to do what they do just once!
  • Mark Twain said, "Golf is a good walk ruined".
  • This the "Employers' Forum" and Tiger Woods subject. I had the honor of Tiger Woods' mother being an employee while at JUSMAGTHAI. I was the Aviation Advisor for the Royal Thai Army. Tiger comes from great lineage!
    The Colonel
  • Colonel, they say Tiger gets his "killer instinct" from his mother. Was that your experience?
  • In my recollection, she was one of six hired as secretary/translator by the Army Advisory Group in Bangkok. A gracious group and understanding of we Yankees (mostly) even when I blew the US Ambassador to Thailand out of bed at 4 am landing a helicopter in downtown Bangkok. The Thai people are gracious as a group, honest and very polite, but intolerant of wrongdoers. I would argue the discipline of Tiger Woods to win the US Open on a horribly painful leg, most likely could be attributed to his mother.
    The Colonel
  • Legend has it that she told Tiger to "rip the throats out" of his competitors.