Summer vacations

Anybody have a really cool summer vacation planned?

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't know if you'd call it "really cool", but ours is at the end of the month, heading into July 4th. We're starting off with the weekend at the racetrack -- NASCAR -- here in NH. We'll be staying at the track in a motor home (Fri-Mon). From there we'll be staying at our place in the Lakes Region, with day trips to both the mountains and the ocean, fireworks of course on the 4th, and finishing up that weekend with a concert -- Chicago -- at an outdoor concert venue -- with most seating under cover, so even if it rains, it's a lot of fun. And the seats are 2nd row, center stage! My 12 year old son is counting the days! He's very excited -- so am I!
  • Sounds awesome, Pattie. You'll love the motor home NASCAR trip. We go to about 4 races throughout the year with our cousin in his motor home. It's loads of fun. People are pleasant and are there to relax, have fun and enjoy good racing. There's nothing like the roar of the motors to give you a natural high. I love it! Last year we went to Michigan and our motor home spot was in back of the exit of pit lane. We were able to see the drivers up close. In fact, our cousin has an elaborate set up where he tows a trailer behind the motor home. The trailer has been modified for a pull-down bar, big-screen TV and an awning that fits over a very large area. Tony Stewart had dinner with us one night and other drivers have visited. David Stremme has been a regular visitor, but Kasey Kahne , Michael Waltrip and Mike Wallace have stopped in too.
    We also saw Chicago in concert a few years ago and they were great. Have a wonderful trip and I think it's a really "cool" vacation! Enjoy!
  • We're taking our annual trike trip. This year we are going to Memphis (weather permitting). If the 7 day forecast shows rain in that area on the morning we leave, we'll head off in which ever direction the national radar shows clear. That's how we ended up in Colorado last year. We only have 2 rules for the ride; no interstate highways, unless that is the only road available and no chain restaurants.
  • Joannie,
    What a wonderful way to see the countryside. I think those are the best vacations - whereever the road takes you! Have fun!
  • Just so happens I'm in Colorado right now visiting my daughter and grandkids. Seeing the grandkids is exciting. Tomorrow we head for Colorado Springs and do some sightseeing - Garden of the Gods and some old Indian cliff dwellings.
  • Is this a working vacation, Ray, or are you so hooked on us you can't stay away?
  • Ray was checking in to see if anybody noticed he was gone. x:-)
  • Should we tell him we missed him?
  • My hubby is going to Banff for a conference next week and I am tagging along. I will actually attend as they had a great deal for spouses and I wanted to see some of the speakers (Stephen Covey, etc) too. We are staying over a day to go hiking in the Canadian Rockies. Hope to see at least 1 glacier while there. The rest of my summer will be playing catch up for all the time I have taken off lately. We are tentatively planning a trip to Vegas in November too. We should be caught up and able to enjoy some time off by then.

Nae
  • Unfortunately, we're not going anywhere this summer. My husband isn't going to be able to take any time off, so we're going to stay home and save our $$ and plan for our vacation for next year. Of course, since we already live in what many consider to be a great vacation destination, we will probably do some of the stuff tourists do when they're here, like fishing, hiking, and just enjoying our spectacular scenery.

We may also take our 3-year-old granddaughter tent camping for a night or two, which definitely could qualify as "exciting", although I'm not sure I'm quite ready for that kind of excitement!
  • Doing anything with a 3 year old can be considered exciting.

• Yeah, Paul, you're absolutely right.

My son and DIL were going to take the 3-year-old fishing last night. She's been begging to go and got her own fishing pole the other day, which she has carried everywhere with her since she got it. They invited me to go to the lake with them but I had other things to do, so I'm anxious to hear how it went and if she loved it as much as she thought she would.
  • My dad bought my boys new fishing poles. Sponge Bob themed. They come with "Spongebobbers." My dad entertained himself with that word for days...
  • Spongebobbers.....I love it!