resume humor - new recruit

A few weeks after a young man had been employed; he was called into the Human Resources administrator's office. "What is the meaning of this?" the HR officer asked. "When you applied for this job, you told us you had three years experience. Now I have discovered this is the first position you've ever held."

"True", the young man answered with a smile, "in your advertisement you said you wanted a person with imagination."

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Had to share this one. We received an e resume today with a one line cover email. The resume was fine, but the applicant actually misspelled his own name on the email. He also misspelled you (yoy) and opportunity (oppurunity). This young person is due to graduate from a 4 year institution of higher learning in May.....

• As I mentioned elsewhere on this forum, I once reviewed an application from a candidate who was born and raised in the town currently served by Dutch. The applicant misspelled the name of the town... In her address, in the name of the high school, and in the name of the position and location for which she was applying.

She also scored a 0 out of 20 on the math test. After she complained that we didn't let her use a calculator, I handed her one and let her take the same test again. That made it 0 out of 40.

• I really hate to expose the "skule" because we've a number of top quality people from there. I have to believe this guy just slipped under the radar.
    That's a great story Frank; don't we all wish it was one of a kind instead of becoming common?

• That's difficult even from a statistical standpoint. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

How did the second interview go, Frank?
  • I got a kick out of this one, "Fast learner, attnetion to detail..." Really? Are you sure you pay attention to detail?
  • I have three favorite resumes I've saved for years because the mistakes on them were so funny. The first was the person who said, under qualifications for a customer service job, "I am goo with people". Then there was the person who said part of their current job was "stalking" merchandise. But the best by far was the young lady who abbreviated the word "assistance" in the worst possible way in this sentence: "providing *** to customers".
  • I kept a resume where one young lad put his dates of employment at a former job as from "whenever" until "whenever."

Now THAT is laziness.
  • Years ago had a position open for a medical assistant and received a resume where the applicant had said that her experience for this position was based on "cutting up tomatoes for Taco Bell".

• I had an extremely interesting interview yesterday. This applicant (age 55-60, I think) actually provided me with a neatly typed, well-organized addendum to her resume. It listed, in great detail, an explanation about all her employment terminations (7 in all... 5 were involuntary).

She can't believe she's been out of work for 3 years. Go figure.
  • Wow, Frank....you gotta love the terminally clueless!

We get applications fairly often from women who have always worked what I call "hobby jobs". These are women whose husbands have always been the primary breadwinner so they themselves haven't HAD to work, but over the years when they've gotten bored because the kids were in school or they wanted to be able to buy something that went above and beyond their normal budget, they've taken a wide variety of jobs and generally held them for just long enough to make the money they wanted to buy their new furniture or whatever.

We have one who has applied a number of times in the past few years and her resume is quite a sizable volume any more...she lists every little job she's had since high school, most of them lasting six months or less. Because she's never had to stick with a job for financial reasons, a lot of her reasons for leaving are things like "didn't get along with the supervisor" or "had trouble learning the new computer system". So why she thinks we'd consider her for a position, given these issues, is WAY beyond me. But she keeps coming back, and always seems completely baffled that we wouldn't want to hire her.
  • Frank, kinda sounds like she doesn't really want to go back to work.

My better half has recently been reviewing lots of applicaitons from High School seniors that are applying to attend college. She tells me that for the most part the spelling, punctuation, and type'os are awful. These kids are from all over the country and most of them are honor students.
  • I was just talking with a co-worker about the younger generation and their reliance on text messaging and abbreviations. Do you think this is/will affect their interpersonal skills when it comes to dealing with older co-workers and customers? They have never not had spellcheck and rarely spell complete words (but do come up with some good acronyms).
  • I definitely think it will affect interpersonal skills - these kids are more used to electronic communication than they are to face-to-face communication and (lord forbid) WRITTEN communication. I am tired of these acronyms coming up in resumes, cover letters, e-mails and web postings.

Whether it is right or wrong, I definitely think less of an applicant or business contact when they communicate in "text speak." But, I guess those are my issues!
  • We had a recent applicant, instead of an actual resume,
    she gave us a "Letterman" Top Ten Reasons to hire her.
    While, that may be fun and catch attention, she only put "inspirational type" quotes from other people in the list. (not actual quality/performance/knowledge related reasons)

A few years ago, I had one that labeled her "past employment" as "GIGS".

No... we are not a band.

• Those are both just way too "cutesie" for my taste. It doesn't endear an applicant to me at all when they get that creative, but then again, banking is not an industry that encourages creativity!
  • Gigs is how they're listed on Craigslist, though.