How Women Should Dress Their Age

According to MSN, this is how you ladies should be dressing in keeping with your age: [url]http://lifestyle.msn.com/stylestudio/default.aspx?tab=episodes&section=weekend&contentid=200&GT1=10578[/url]

I watched about a minute of this and had two observations:

1) The expert lady isnt dressed very nicely if you ask me. Too much makeup and I swear I have a fishing lure that looks exactly like her earrings.

2) They only have tips for women in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. Apparently women over 49 no longer need to be concerned about how they look as any meaningful existence has certainly passed them by at that point.

Comments

• 31 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I liked how the lady in my own age bracket was dressed. Loved the turtleneck and skirt combo.

If I say anything about the others, I will have to switch my purple bracelet.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-28-07 AT 03:03PM (CST)[/font][br][br] Apparently women over 49 no longer need to be concerned about how they look as any
    >meaningful existence has certainly passed them by at that point.

EXCUSE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't believe you actually had the gall to put that in words. I happen to be over 49 and take offense at that statement.
  • I didn't care for the look of the speaker either. However, if you had continued to listen you would have noted that she said 40's and 50's once and afterwards referred to it as 40's and up. I guess Joannie and I are not left out afterall. Whew! I was afraid I was going to have to go around without ANY clothes. That would have been tough on everyone!

Nae
  • No Paul, it was YOUR observations you stated. You were not repeating something MSN.
  • You are misunderstanding my post. Carry on.
  • >You are misunderstanding my post. Carry on.

Older people are like that, Paul.
    :)

• Excuse me...but I think the word is Mature People...not old people.
    I happen to be one of those Mature People and I don't like to be called an old person.

Shirley
  • Over 49 is not old. My grandma is 100 and she says she's not old either. My brother took her for a ride on his Harley for her birthday, she still lives alone, and she's sharp as a tack.

It's all about the state of mind, girlfriend. x:-)
  • I am with you... I ride both a motorcycle and an ATV and go some trails and places most of the men on here would not go...pretty scary at times... and I am way over 49 by quite a few years.

by the way...my leathers look better on my mature me than any of the clothes I saw in that little ad.

Shirley
  • Well try to buy decent close anymore... I just went to Penny's last night to get a nice creme dress blouse to wear with a red suit to a Christmas Party.

Well the shirts either just barley hit my waist, were cut to the navel, or hang down to my knees. What's with that?

And what's with all the odd patterns that look like a 70's revival?

Shirley
  • I think PICB and ACU Frank should attend more Diversity Training classes. I also think as punishment for their obviously discrimantory comments they should be forced to go clothes shopping with their spouses.
  • I do agree they should go clothes shopping with their wives. And they should be forced to stand outside the ladies dressing room waiting for their wives to appear so they can tell her if the clothing makes her look fat and in addition they should be required to carry all the packages.

Shirley
  • O=* Wait, why are we even responding to Paul's comments on How Women Should Dress? I believe there are pictures of Paul posted under this topic that show he has absolutely no taste whatsoever when it comes to fashion style.
  • I roll elf style. Speaking of which, my tights are riding up.

Sign me up for diversity training as long as I get to sit by Frank.
  • Hmmmm! Your tights are riding up and Frank is pantless............................
  • Careful or you will be ending up in our diversity class too, Joannie.
  • Everyone has missed an important key to this discussion and even the MSN article. There has been no discussion about age appropriate men's clothing (although Paul apparently is into tights and ACO has never disputed the pantless tag). This can only be rationalized by the fashion world's feelings of hopelessness to groom men into an appropriate mode. Face it, it ain't gonna happen!!!

• Allsteaks, I have to agree with you. If men were worried about doing anything "age appropriate", there would be virtually no sport car sales. And you would never have to wonder if she is his daughter or granddaughter.
  • Oh and what is with those little strip beards on just part of the mouth or below... They are just ugly..there is no other word to use...shave them or grow them guys..don't do the partial thing! Yucky!
    And while you are at it lose the baggy jeans..we do not enjoy seeing underwear hang out the waistband or worse! That is disgusting! Wear clothes that fit!

Oh and another thing..stop right now wearing cowboy boots with suits...It does not look cool!

Also please throw away the ties that play music and the chartreuse shirt along with the orange socks that show when you sit down in your suit at the meetings.

It is also not cool to have two toned hair...red on top and black on the bottom and I don't care if you are in your 20's anything does not go in the office.

Are You guys listening?

Shirley
  • xclap xclap xclap xclap I'm with you, Shirley.
  • High-waters. I have noticed recently an unusually high number of high-waters being worn out there, along with dark shoes with white socks. On youngish men. They are not in style guys. I think some men just buy pants that are too small, deluding themselves that they still have a 32" waist. I realize women do this too, but the pants are still the right length when women do it.

Grandpa-types can wear what they want, and they look awfully cute. Even in gym shoes with velcro straps. ESPECIALLY in gym shoes with velco straps.

Youngish men need to wear pants that fit. Dark socks with dark shoes, light socks with light shoes. It does not cost any extra to buy pants that fit and colors that match.
  • HRQ

All men are color blind..I swear this is true...black shirts with brown pants,brown shirts with black pants...orange and black socks, red ties with yellow shirts...the list goes on.

My husband complains but I make sure he dresses right...even though it means I also have to go with him and stand outside the dressing room and make sure the waist and the length fits...he doesn't like it but I only make him go once a year and we made an agreement he will do it once a year if I only make him go once a year..works for us.

Maybe the guys could recruit their wives or mothers to help them shop. My mother in law goes with me for socks and sweaters and such. and she has great taste. She also knows what kind of clothes my husband likes and what looks good on him...maybe daughter in laws should recruit mother in laws.

Shirley

• A friend just buys her husband's clothes for him, and he wears what she gives him. She buys normal clothes, but she takes great joy in picking out obnoxious boxers, which his coworkers see in the locker room. x}>
  • Hopefully now that you've all gotten those man-bashing thoughts off your chests you can admit that each of you knows at least a few men who dress themselves well on a regular basis. It is also unfair to consider weekend yardwork or painting attire, because we (men) look for our oldest and least favorite shirts/jeans for those tasks.
    Give us just a small sliver of slack, that's all we ask....

• Allsteaks,

I had a controller that wore a suede jacket, a western shirt and cowboy boots everyday, he looked very nice and no one ever had negative comments. There are always those that dress well, dockers type kakie's and a nice shirt looks perfectly fine to me as long as they fit. In fact that is how our vice president always dresses. I think I have seen him in a suit twice, but his clothes are well fitting , ironed and look well together. It is a matter of making sure that the total outfit goes together.

Some of you guys do a very fine job of it and some of you need a lot of help.

Shirley
  • Finding modest clothes for my 11 year old daughter is a challenge. Fortunately, she wears a uniform to school so its just weekend clothing that we have to deal with.

And while I am ranting, please please dont buy "Bratz" stuff for your kids this christmas. Think about it. Bratz...
  • I am stunned that people buy Bratz for their pre-teens. They "wear" too much makeup, wear slinky clothes, and are just too mature. (For lack of a better word. OK, here's a better word: they look like ho's.)

Whatever happened to Ballerina Barbie? I grew up with her, Malibu Barbie, Superstar Ken, and the Sunshine Family dolls. Superstar Ken had an awesome blue velvet jumpsuit, complete with black dress shoes, a red cravat, and a ruby ring.
  • The High School Musical Dolls are the rage now it is the modern Grease. I bought those for my grandaughter. They are just really Barbie dolls with different looks. My grandaughter thinks Corbin Bleu is the best.

There is a new one out called the American Girl. The books are great they have historical content and are written in the little house format. There are also American Girl dolls. These are great dolls, books and my grandaughter loves the magazine which I pay for her to receive.

Lots of choices and Bratz is definately not one of them for me.

Shirley
  • I like the High School Musical movies. I can see why they are such a big deal with the kids, and they are actually "cleaner" than Grease was. I didn't realize until I was an adult that the song Greased Lightning had so many inappropriate words and content.

My oldest son likes appropriate toys like puzzles, tinker toys, legos, science sets, anything he can build or disassemble.

My youngest loves battles and weapons and lots of action. I've been directing him toward the Lego Star Wars video games and Lego sets. He gets the action he wants, but it's very G rated.

There are a lot of kinda scary video games out there that he wants, but he is NOT getting.