New Experience

OK, I did it. I tried something new. I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but it wasn't too bad. I had Wendy's Vanilla Frosty.

Comments

• 42 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's too quiet here. I just wanted to see if anybody was around and awake.

It was OK, next time I'll get chocolate.
  • That's the same decision I made when I first tried their vanila flavor Frosty some time back. How is the service at your local Wendy's? Our is so poor that I have not been back in months.
    They tried three seperate times to get our burgers right on our next to last trip. They just can't seem to prepare the burgers in the same way that we order them. On my last trip the "young" man at the second window informed me that I had to pull around front and they would bring my order out to me as soon as it is ready. Of course I always ask how long the wait will be. He tells me two minutes. I asked why I couldn't stay there for two minutes. He said I had to pull around so they would wait on the other customers. I looked in the mirror and expalined to him that there were no other customers. I'll just stay here until someone else pulls up in the drive-thru lane. He went and told his manager that I refused to pull around. She came and informed that I had to move around. This is when I informed her that I was told it only would be a two minute wait and that it had already been nearly four minutes. This is when she said that I must pull around. I said, no you must give me a refund. So I got my refund and pulled over to the side and noted that it was twelve minutes before anyone else pulled in the lane to place an order. I have not returned since.
    Of course I made a quick run to Micky D's for lunch this past Saturday, ordered six burgers and only one of them was prepared correctly.
    I guess all the good folks are working at Wally-World.
  • I always preferred Wendy's but the one in this little town is scary. I pull up to the window and often the person manning it is someone I've fired. I quit fast food back in May, but my assistant was going out and I couldn't resist. She gave me good service.
  • I wish I could quit fast food...it's so addicting. I can relate to having someone wait on you after you fired them. I went into the Bible Factory Store and there at the checkout was a lady I fired about 3 months before. She was friendly and gave good service, but I'm sure she had to ask for forgiveness after I left. I guess I'm glad it was the Bible Factory and not a fast food place....who knows what would have been on my burger.
  • Sometimes you don't have a choice. Well, you do have a choice. Fast food, or dibilitating disease.
  • Dutch, you are my hero.

I always like to make sure when I order in the drive through that I want my order "to go".

• Well Ray, here in Arkansas the Vanilla shakes are old news...now we have TWISTED. Maybe you should try one of them.

I think all HR people have to be a little twisted anyway to be a "highly successful HR Manger". At least it helps understand some of the stories we come across from our employees.
  • HR Dilemma,

First off, nice name. Second off, welcome to the forum. We always have room for one more twisted sense of humor.

• Let me know when you try the chocolate. Since you are indulging anyway, get some fries and dip them in the Frosty before eating.

While waiting the required 12 minutes for your food, you could step outside your vehicle and jog in place. That should burn off enough calories that you might be able to "afford" the Frosty.

Or just eat the damned Frosty and enjoy it. You only indulge yourself once or twice a year anyway. x:D
  • So did you guys hear about the McDonald's employee who was put in jail for over-salting a hamburger?

Here is the story: [url]http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5idik8tGbbdalwkt4ggHl6I4mj85A[/url]

• I had heard all the outrage about this, and at first I thought this might be a standard case of law enforcement abusing its power, but I became curious when I discovered that the judge refused to dismiss the case against the McDonald's employee.

Upon thinking about this further, I began to wonder if the toxic effects of salt had to do with why the case was not thrown out. In which case, I
    could see how the story might not be so outrageous after all, though you'd never know it from the media reports (typical). According to various accounts, the officer became sick to the point of vomiting after a couple bites of the burger. Despite various commenters on many websites discussing this story who ask how someone can get sick from a little salt, no one seems to point out that, for a long time, salt was actually used to induce vomiting - that is, until the dangers of salt poisoning were discovered. Salt, even in non-extraordinary quantities, can cause people to vomit (it used to be used specifically for that purpose!), become very ill, or even die. (See, for example: [url]http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a713620796~db=all[/url] ; [url]http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/12feb20041500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/janqtr/16cfr1500.134.htm[/url]).
    Apparently 1-2 teaspoons of salt is enough to kill a 6-month old infant, and I came across a JSTOR article about a woman who, after accidentally putting 4 tablespoons of salt in her jam, went into a coma within 6 hours and died within 10 (the woman was mentally handicapped, so apparently didn't know enough not to eat the salty jam). Unfortunately I'm having difficulty relocating that JSTOR article right now.

But anyways, if the burger was salty enough to make an adult male ill, it's possible that serious injury - or even death - could have occurred if the hamburger had been given to a small child (and, for all the McDonald's worker knew, it very well might be). I can see how that would be reckless - a parent could buy a salty burger for a two year old kid. The parent wouldn't know how salty the burger is, and the two year old wouldn't know enough to stop eating the salty burger and could get seriously ill. Sounds far-fetched, though it's far from impossible - kids have died from getting into a container of salt and eating it, so apparently they won't necessarily stop eating something just because it tastes ridiculously salty. It's even less far-fetched if you consider the already-high sodium content of McDonald's food, which further interferes with the body's ability to deal with the salt. I'm guessing the district attorney cited salt as a poison when arguing against dropping the charges, but who knows. That's what I would do, though, if I had to make an argument for prosecuting.

All's I know is, there's two sides to every story, and the media's only reporting one.

• A few years ago I got a couple of McDonalds Double Cheeseburgers. I was going through the drive thru so I was about a half mile from the restaurant when I opened the burger and took a bite.

It was so salty as to be sickening. I didnt throw up but I did turn around and went back to the McDonalds. I took them the burgers and got my money back.

So, I kind of thought this was an interesting story.
  • The facts in this case are confusing. I just want to know why the officer would take more than one bite if it was so salty.

I also seriously doubt this employee had a clue as to how dangerous salt can be. They should have known better than to sell the burger, but that does not automatically mean they had a clue that it would make someone sick.

Putting on my guru hat (like Johnny Carson used to have) I am looking into the future. Ahh yes..... I see more training at fast food stores everywhere...and perhaps regular restaurants too.

Nae
  • Well, I don't think it's that unbelievable that a person (especially a quick eater) could get two or three bites into something before realizing how salty it is, especially a McDonald's burger, where the part that has the most contact with the tongue is going to be the (non-salty) bun. Also, people assume that since the officer got sick, there was necessarily a ton of salt on the thing. I don't think that has to be the case. A lot of things can contribute to salt poisoning - the high sodium content of the food in particular could make it such that a relatively small amount of salt could make one ill if the police officer didn't have a lot of water in his system at the time, etc.

Also, I don't think it's necessary for the employee to know the dangers of salt in order to act recklessly. I can't say for sure what the standard is in Georgia, but I think it may be enough for her to have acted without regard to another's safety. There also may be a higher standard for food service workers.
  • But do you agree that being arrested is highly unusual?

Getting written up or fired? Sure. But arrested and taken to jail?

It does seem like a bit of an over-reaction. If anyone should be arrested, wouldn't it be the Hamburglar? He has been apparently stealing hamburgers all these years.
  • Yes, of course I agree that the arrest is unusual. Like I said (at least I think I said this before), when I first read the case, I figured it was just another case of a police officer abusing his power. But when I considered the dangers of salt poisoning, I considered that it may not have been so outrageous. The burger made the police officer sick - he went back to the McDonald's to find out why. The worker admitted to serving a burger that she knew was not made appropriately (whether or not she knew that this inappropriate making could be poisonous). The officer has discretion to arrest her if he has reasonable suspicion that she may have done it intentionally or tainted his burger with something other than salt or whatever. Who knows what she said to the officer when he questioned her (the media reports I read seemed only to report the worker's version of events). I guess I'm just saying I can see how the situation may not be as outrageous as the media is reporting. The media loves to incite outrage, even if it means leaving out (or misreporting entirely) certain facts (as we discussed re: the mcdonald's coffee spill case some months ago).
  • This is getting out of hand. Using the same logic,the clerk in the donut shop that sells a donut with excess sugar in the glaze to a diabetic cop which results in the cop having an adverse reaction could be arrested. Or for that matter the fountain clerk who inadvertantly fills a cup with regular Coke, instead of Diet Coke. Please, people, what has happened to personal responsibility? Why must someone always be liable? Accidents happen.
  • Hey it's your fault I'm this messed up!! And you owe it to me to pay to get me straightened out even if I don't actually straighten out. And it doesn't matter if you warned me. Wow, I wrote more but it was really derogatory. Sorry.

• Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery, allsteaks.
  • Steaks, turn it over to a Higher Power. And I don't mean the judicial system.
  • Out of curiosity I googled this story:

The employee was 20 and claims she accidentally spilled the salt on the burger. She told her supervisor and co-worker who tried to thump the excess off (trying to save waste). She says she was in the back and didn't see who went through the drive-through and bought it. She also claims she ate one of the salted burgers and it did not make her sick.

The police officer interviewed her outside at the restaurant after he got sick. She admitted that she had over salted the food. He arrested her and charged her with misdemeaner reckless conduct. Apparently it is illegal to serve adulterated food to a police officer.

The meat has gone to the crime lab for tests. The police department spokesperson said she was charged because she served the burger “without regards to the well-being of anyone who might consume it.”

I guess we'll have to decide for ourselves, but we might want to wait for the crime lab results before deciding.

Nae
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-13-07 AT 09:56PM (CST)[/font][br][br]True story. I went to McDonalds tonight and ordered a Big Mac Meal (no lectures please, larry) and there was ABSOLUTELY NO SALT on my fries.

Coincidence?
  • I would sue them if I were you. I'm sure you can find a lawyer who will take your case and be such a pain that McD's will settle out of court for at least $25k. That'll buy you a nice new car.
  • Ray, how long has it been since you went car shopping? You might get a nice used car for $25k.
  • Dude, where do you shop for cars? My Saturn Vue was less than $25k brand new in 2005, and I love it.

Do you drive a Hummer, or what?

• Dutch is just trying to show off. I just bought a nice late model car 3 weeks ago, brand new it lists for about $27k.
  • OK, Just so you New Yorkers and Arizonians will know, here in the great central U S of A,it is a long way between places and you must have a dependable, comfortable ride. And you can currently by a Hummer on 0% down, 0% interest for 60 months.
  • Is a Hummer comfortable? I only rode in one, and it was one of the original military-looking ones. Felt every pebble on the road.

It was fun being bigger than everyone else, though.