What was that?

The thread about asking a candidate if they were using HUD got me to thinking. HR people often tell each other outrageous stories about interviews they have had with bad candidates. What about questions you were asked when you were the candidate? Did you ever get asked something that made you do a double take and ask, "What was that?"

My history is fairly innocuous. The only bad one I can remember took place in the mid-70's. The application asked me for the date of my last period. I was outraged, but at my sister's urging went ahead and applied. I was further outraged that they didn't even call me for an interview. That personal information was lying around in their office somewhere and I didn't even get a crack at the job!

What about you?

Nae

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My first job interview, the store manager asked me what time I got out of school.

I replied "June".

He then said, "No, what TIME do you get out of school?"

I replied "I dont know what time exactly but I know its in June."

I didnt get that job. Later on I realized that he just wanted to know what time of day I got out of school each day.

I wish I could track that manager down and say "3:15!"

• I was a college student applying for a summer job, working overnight shuffling packages and mail around an industrial complex.

The owner of the factory, a gruff old man, asked me several strange questions, like what kind of car I drove, what my parents did for a living, etc. I was pretty sure I had the job, when he leaned across the desk with "one last question".

"Have you ever had sex with a co-worker?"

I have a habit of stalling for time in such instances by asking a clarifying question. A good habit, I'm sure, but in this case I was lost.

"Do you mean at work, or anywhere?" I asked.

He told me it didn't really matter, and they would call me if they needed me. They didn't call.

In the fall, I learned that one of the guys on my floor in the dorm had been the one to get the job. I asked Byron of the old man was as strange as he seemed. Byron told me he had been asked the same question in his interview, but had quickly assured the old man that he would never even think about doing anything like that. Byron then told me there was a second summer employee doing the same job on the overnights - the old man's granddaughter.

So, I guess even some of the most inappropriate questions have a reason behind them.
  • I was 7 months pregnant when I interviewed for my current job, so it was pretty obvious the baby was due soon. I was being interviewed by a panel. They'd created the HR position after having gone several years without one person dedicated to that area. Instead, the VP sort of oversaw a combination of people doing pieces of the job.

The CEO asked me if I was pregnant and when I was due, then asked me "Can I ask that?" (He knew he couldn't.)

I was pretty amused when I saw the VP literally kicking his shins under the table. I then responded "No, but I'll answer it anyway." So I answered his question, then explained that THAT kind of question is exactly why they need to hire me for this new position.

And the rest is history.

Definitely not as dramatic as the period or sex questions though.

• Well this isn't job related, but given Nae's and Paul's stories, I may as well tell one of my "most embarrassing moment" stories, since it combines elements from each of their stories.

The first time a doctor asked me the standard, "When was your last period?" question, the doctor had an accent, and it sounded like he was saying, "When's your last period?" At that age, "period" in my mind was associated with class periods (period A - math, period B - science, etc.), but I had no idea what that had to with my doctor's visit, so I said, "What?" He repeats, "When's your last period?" I was still confused, but I answered, "Uh, it ends at 2:02." He goes, "What?" "2:02," I answer. Of course now we're both confused, and in response to his subsequent "What???" I say something like, "My last class ends at 2:02." And the doctor goes, "NO. I MEAN YOUR PERIOD. WHEN DID YOU LAST HAVE YOUR PERIOD" and then of course I was all embarrassed.

But this probably wouldn't have made it into the "most embarrassing moments" category if not for the fact that I was young enough that my dad was in the exam room with me, and he just laughed and laughed all the way home. "HAHAHA - You thought he was talking about class periods? HAHAHAHA." And of course my dad found this so hilarious that he had to share the story with everyone he knew.

As for bad interview questions, one time I was interviewing for a job WITH A LAW FIRM, and the managing partner said to me, "I know I'm not supposed to ask this, but are you married? Engaged? Have any kids? Any attachments?" He mentioned something along the lines of wanting to know whether I would have distractions from my work. There were some other attorneys at the table with him and they made faces and noises of disapproval. Unfortunately I was too uninformed, too easygoing, and too eager for the job to make an issue of it (or other things that occurred during my time working there). Now that I think about it, I wonder whether the noises of disapproval from the attorneys were because he asked the questions or because he told me he wasn't supposed to ask them.

• You should have said "No, I live alone with no attachments. Unless you would consider my 37 cats attachments."

• Law firms are notorious for their illegal hiring and employment practices. I think it's because they all assume they're smarter than anyone else, and because the potential complainant would be too intimidated by their legal skills to raise the issue.

Now, suppose YOU were a lawyer.

And, suppose YOU were a scumbag.

But I repeat myself...

(Nod to Mark Twain)
  • I was being interviewed for a job at the state Department of Labor. I was asked if I had any children and if I had any plans to have any. I knew it was an illegal question, but also knew if I pointed that out I certainly wouldn't get the job. I said I had no children, and no plans to have any. Over the next 13 years of employment I had three "unplanned" children.