Snow

OK, how many of you live in upstate NY and have been hit by the recent snow?

We are getting hit with a big storm as I write this. We missed the snow last week that hit Oswego County, with the 100" accumulations. But, we woke up to 7" this morning and it will be getting worse soon and expect 30" by tonight total. That will be a record for us in that short amount of time. Closing up shop in about 3 hours.

Comments

• 23 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm not in NY but in OH. We are buried. Half of our workforce called off and the snow is still falling. I feel sorry for the upstate NY'ers. Please keep all that snow.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-14-07 AT 01:03PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Uh, Irie.... our snow came from Ohio. Why didn't you keep it? My son lives in Columbus and he had 5" last night with ice on top of it. He said everything was closing down out there.
  • I'm in Cleveland and there's over a foot in my driveway. Snowblower broke last night. Bummer! I'm happy to get rid of the snow and send it your way.
  • Here in central MO we picked up about six inches Tuesday morning. Enough to close the schools for two days. We have had snow on the ground for nearly a month now, very unusual for these parts.
    I love talking to the older timers around here about the weather. General consensus is they can not remember it being this dang cold for this dang long before. It was in the single digits this morning.
    Stay warm and happy valentines day to everyone.
  • Well, the older the wife gets, the less she wants to shovel, so I guess I'm stuck doing it this afternoon.
  • We have the cold, but not alot of snow to go with it, which is bad. Frost is going deeper and peoples' septic tanks are freezing. Boy, wouldn't THAT be a pleasant experience.

Not only that, but the annual John Beargrease Dogsled Race has been cancelled because of lack of snow. But the pond hockey championships were a success and icefishing is flourishing.

The annual open water snowmobiling runs were a success also.
  • "open water snowmobiling"??? Ok, I'll bite.
    Is this similar to the sports special I watched where they took snowmobiles to a lake down south, rev'ed it up and took off across the sandy beach and out across the lake? As long as they kept the momentum going it worked about the same as a jet-ski. Just don't slow down too much or it would float like a rock.
  • Same thing, Dutch, except the result of failure is a little colder and sometimes deadly, seeing as how the driver is dressed for winter......not swimming.
  • Here in Kansas we have had snow on the ground for about 3 weeks now. It snowed when I left for vacation on Jan 20th. I was gone a week, and most had melted by the next week when it snowed again. I was home sick with bronchitis so didn't really notice how deep, etc, but it was still there when I tried to go back to work (after another week off). Most had melted when we got hit with another 1-3 inches Monday night.

Unfortunately, we had rain that turned into snow Monday, so it is snow on top of ice. I didn't need my car again until this morning. The locks were fine, but it took 2 hours this morning to get the doors open (don't ask). It was 4 degrees with a wind chill of -7. Can you say BRRRRRR?

Nae

• I am so glad I live in the South. But I did live in Michigan when I was growing up, so I know all about the snow/ice/wind. The front page of our paper this morning said: "Glad you're in Dixie?
    Stop Whining, yesterday we hit 55 degrees while much of the Northeast and Midwest was buried in snow and ice."
    Then underneath a picture of the frozen Delaware River it said: "Start Whining: On Friday our low temps could dip to 18."
    Yikes! That's cold.
  • Man, I wish our low temps were as high as 18 degrees. I envy you. :-)
  • It's warm and sunny in Phoenix.

xB-)
  • Last week it was -30 with the wind chill for about 3 days. It's still in the negative every morning when I leave for work!

• We had no temperature this morning. 0 degrees. Unless you listen to the tv weather dudes who say it is -8 to -11 wind chill. Sunshine and hopefully up to 30 before the day is over.
  • HRQ, my daughter and her two young kids are flying to Phoenix today to join her husband who drove out last week. He has a couple job offers and leads on apartments. Looks like the wife and me will be flying out for vacation this summer.
  • Phoenix has grown a lot in the past several years - they won't even recognize it. 'Specially if they are looking in the northwest valley. The new Cardinals stadium is inspiring all kinds of business growth out there.

Summer will be nice and toasty for you. Bring your SPF30 sunscreen, bottled water, and a baseball cap.

Let me know if you are heading out Tempe-way. x:-)
  • I think their plan is to find a place in Tempe. They'll be staying temporarily in Paradise Valley area.

Last 2 times I was out there I threatened to buy a cowboy hat and wear it...
  • I personally don't really care for cowboy hats, or western-style stuff in general, but if that floats your boat, then have at it. Can you play country music on a dulcimer? x:D
  • Well my wife just laughs at me when I talk about cowboy hats - that's not my style.

Dulcimers are used for folk music, so probably could be used for country music.
  • Are dulcimers those laptop guitar thingies? Guess I could look it up myself, but it's Friday and I don't feel like it. I remember my 2nd grade music teacher had one of those.
  • Isn't that what Granny played? (Beverly Hillbillys)
  • My research results:

[url]http://www.backyardmusic.com/About_Dulcimers.html[/url]

What is a dulcimer?

The lap dulcimer is a stringed folk instrument that evolved in the Appalachian mountains in the 1800s. Dulcimers are the easiest stringed instrument for beginners to play, ideal for children and non-musicians who want to play tunes or accompany singing. Dulcimers are a relatively quiet instrument. Their sweet quiet sound is well-suited to personal relaxation or playing in a cozy environment.

This part stood out to me: "ideal for children and non-musicians." Sorry, Ray, I'm feeling snarky today. x:-)

There are pictures of all kinds of different dulcimers, but they all sort of resemble a funny looking guitar.
  • Yep, that's the kind of dulcimer I have, one with 4 strings, also called a strummed dulcimer. It's hand made by a craftman living in Pittsburgh, PA. It looks like an elongated skinny guitar. Two of the strings are tuned a 5th apart and called drones. The other two strings are tuned to the same note one octave above the lower drone string and it is on these strings the melody is played. The strings are often plucked with the right hand using a guitar pick, the left hand uses a woodedn dowel called a noter, to press the strings on the fretboard to determine pitch.

There's also a hammered dulcimer that is larger and sits on a stand and the strings are struck with small hammers.