My miraculous Christmas vision

I've experienced my own Christmas miracle, the kind of vision that can only come from the Christmas spirit, along with a twisted sense of humor and a severe lack of sleep.

This morning I was half asleep, baking pigs in a blanket for my kid's class and listening to a Christmas CD. A steel drum band was playing an instrumental version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen when I realized that it sounded amazingly like the theme from Gilligan's Island. This could only mean one thing: Gilligan's Island was popular even in 15th-century England.

On the way to work, all I could think of was the cosmic intertwining of the lyrics of the two songs. Here are the lyrics I envisioned:

God rest ye merry gentlemen,
a tale of a fateful trip,
Remember Christ our savior
aboard this tiny ship.
The mate was a mighty sailin' man,
when we were gone astray
O-oh tiding of three-hour tour,
a three-hour tour
O-oh tiding of a three-hour tour

I hope my miraculous vision gives you a little joy during the season. Happy Holidays! xhugs

James Sokolowski
HRhero.com

Comments

• 22 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • James, there's a job waiting for you in Hollywood.
  • Thanks a bunch... now I can't get your version out of my head....

Kind of reminds me of my high school days when we were going around singign "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "There is a house in New Orleans". Give it a try, it fits perfectly.
  • OK Dutch... now you did it. I'll think of a way to retaliate.
  • James put down the eggnog and step slowly away from the computer.
  • Maybe we can get his computer to sue him for mental abuse.
  • The Twilight Zone theme music is getting louder. Need. More. Chocolate. Treats.
  • I wonder if you fit the words to Amazing Grace to the Twilight Zone theme song?
  • Sorry, I just can't sem to make it work...

However, the theme music for the Twilight Zone was much better than that of The Outer Limits. Surely there are a few others on this site that have been around long enough to remember both TV shows, and I do not mean the re-runs.
  • I've read about them in history books. No wait, I remember watching them. Well, at least Twilight Zone. It's always interesting watching a rerun today and realizing you saw it when originally shown decades ago. Rod Serling is a native of Binghamton, NY near where I live.
  • "...ugly, ugly, ugly,...freak-freak-freak..."
    It's from a Twighlight Zone episode that has haunted my pea-brain for decades
  • I remember that one, if it's the same one you're thinking of. There was a girl in a hospital whose face was wrapped until the end of the show. Throughout the show doctors and nurses were working on her and agonizing about her ugliness and how she could possibly fit in with society. Then at the end we saw her face. She was beautiful, but everyone else was ugly according to our standards.
  • "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. "
  • The Twilight Zone has some classic episodes that I will always remember. For some reason I seem to remember the ones with Burgess Meredith: always wanting time to read, Agnes Moorhead: the lady living alone in a small shack out west visited by tiny little spacemen, and of course the episode with William Shatner…”there’s a man on the wing!”
    About all I can recall from the Outer Limits is at the beginning of the show your TV screen would go all snowy with lots of static and a voice over would come on telling you, Do not to attempt to adjust your sets, that they now had control of your TV. And most certainly the poor make up and special effects. I guess many of the younger forumites have no frame of reference to a snowy, static filled TV screen that you had to get up and adjust the vertical and horizontal hold every time you changed channels, which you also had to get up to do.
    Speaking of poor special effects, any fans of the ole Dr. Who BBC series out there? Where they would use painted pasta strainers for space helments. My teenage boys are hooked on the new Dr. Who TV series on the SciFi network. Tonight is their special two hour season finale so I know where they will be.

• Our local PBS station carried some of the Dr. Who series. I watched what I could. That was good stuff.
  • I don't remember if I saw reruns or originals - but it was around 30 years ago. I remember the "man on the wing" episode.

Speaking of Shatner, I loved the original Star Trek shows. The Trouble With Tribbles was a favorite. I hate all the other Star Trek stuff.

This also reminds me of watching TV until they played The Star Spangled Banner, then nothing but static.

More recent history, but still applies to our employees seeming to be younger and younger: at Orientation this week, we had a really "dead" group. We had a really hard time getting them involved - they just kind of sat there listening to us.

Another trainer joked about the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off. "Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?" It went completely over their heads. It occurred to me that they may never have seen the movie - it came out 20 years ago.
  • I enjoyed all the Star Trek versions. Well, the last one wasn't quite up to previous standards. I have most of the orginals on tape, but I can't stand the Tribble episode for some reason.

HRQ, it really gets weird when you start hiring people several years younger than your kids.
  • Illegal, too.

The boys are 5 and 6. x;-)
  • Also speaking of Shatner, does anyone watch Boston Legal? I absolutely love his character on that show. Denny Crane and his mad cow disease.

As for Bueller - "Where's your brain? Why'd you kick me? Where's your brain? Why'd you kick me?"

Pure genius.
  • I'd forgotten that particular quote. Thanks for the smile. x:-)
  • The fact that there always seemed to be a message is what made Twilight Zone & Star Trek so popular.

As mentioned by Dutch2, watching Burgess Meredith in his bomb shelter full of books and a set of broken glasses, realizing he kept people out to make room for his books, which he could no longer read -- superb! And my favorite Star Trek remains "City on the Edge of Forever" with Joan Collins playing a well meaning Passivist who runs a homeless shelter in the late 1930's. She hates war & wants to keep America out of WWII, but she is suppose to die which prevents her from furthering her antiwar agenda. Kirk, who has gone back in time to save Dr McCoy, falls in love with Joan, but has to let her get hit by a truck or else she lives & history is changed as she leads an antiwar movement that keeps America out of WWII and Hitler wins. Love it! The "...Ugly, ugly,..." episode from Twilight Zone is also one of my favorites.

• Happy New Year, Everyone:

One of my favorite episodes I think either from the Twilight Zone or the Outer Limits was when an alien came to earth and befriended the world leaders. Then the alien and his companions worked the the world leaders and scientists exchanging information.

The alien brought a gift to the humans, a book called "How to Serve Man". However, the contents could not be interpreted immediately. After some time the humans were also offered travel to the aliens' planet as the aliens had free access to earth. By the time it was discovered that "How to Serve Man" was a cookbook, it was too late.

G

• I believe "How to Serve Man" was also in a Simpsons episode.