Ideas for C'mas party at work

We're planning a catered lunch and prize drawings in lieu of an evening C'mas party (surveyed preference). We'd like to include some "game" type events that would be minimally disruptive, where ees can participate and return to work. Something along the lines of a poker run (walk), etc. Any and all ideas considered.

Thnx,
Debbie

Comments

• 30 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Steal an idea from the cub scouts - do a cake walk.
  • Maybe a christmas themed game of bunco.
  • We do things like a putting contest for a small prize, employee bingo (find someone that has been at company for 1 year, find someone that has been at company for over 20 years, find someone who has grandchildren, find someone whose favorite time of day is morning, etc.) and then once they have their sheet completely initialed off they get put in a drawing for a door prize, ring the bottle of pop to win the bottle of pop, bean bag toss at board that has CEO's face on it, guess the number of M&M's and win the container, guess how many marshmallows and win the container with a box of hot chocolate, snowflake decorating contest for employees and children . . .
  • We had good luck with eveyone singing the 12 Days of Christmas. We picked out a different person to sing each day. Some were very good, some were, shall we say not as good, but eveyone had a lot of fun in the process.
  • These have been some great ideas. Thnx so much!
  • We have an employee potluck and mug exchange.
    Here are the rules:

When you arrive at the party:
    Put wrapped mug on table
    Pick one symbol – red heart, green tree, blue star - and one number

When it’s time to play:
    Choose any wrapped mug from table – DO NOT UNWRAP IT!
    Sit down
    Pass wrapped mug to person on your left
    UPWRAP THE MUGS

Round 1: people with red hearts can exchange their mug with anyone in the room. The mug can only move one time during this round.

Round 2: people with green trees can exchange their mug with anyone in the room. The mug can only move one time during this round.

Round 3: people with blue stars can exchange their mug with anyone in the room. The mug can only move one time during this round.

Party Chairperson chooses a number and asks the person with that number if they want to exchange their mug for one of three wrapped packages.(Always include a gag gift as one of the wrapped packages).

Party Chairperson continues to choose numbers until all the wrapped packages have been given out.

Everyone who chose a wrapped package can then open their package and see what’s inside.

• I work for a religious nonprofit organization. We have several occasions to celebrate.

First, our CFO hosts a party for all of the employees in our building (we have many individual groups in our organization)

Second, each group or division have their go out for Christmas Lunch or Dinner and exchange gifts. Some divisions have potluck lunches and gifts exchanges. Our department have our potluck lunch and gift exchange on the same day. In addition, our department director takes us out for Christmas dinner on another night.

Some of our fundraising groups and our schools will have Christmas fair sales. (Each year I look forward to buying those chocolate bars with almonds).

I work for a Catholic organization and to round out the Christmas Season, there's a special Mass around mid-day followed by a party. Those of us who attend use this time to reconnect with each other, since we are spread out within the company.

Happy Holidays to all.

G

• >We're planning a catered lunch and prize
    >drawings in lieu of an evening C'mas party
    >(surveyed preference). We'd like to include some
    >"game" type events that would be minimally
    >disruptive, where ees can participate and return
    >to work. Something along the lines of a poker
    >run (walk), etc. Any and all ideas considered.
    >
    >Thnx,
    >Debbie

• Debbie,

I will probably get some flack from other Forumites for this, but I have to get my 2 cents worth in. C'mas is not the correct spelling for Christmas. Why do we continually want to take Christ out of the spelling of Christmas, when after all, it is His birth we are celebrating. Would you send out invitations to D'bie's birthday celebration? Maybe not! Please keep Christ in Christmas, for without it, there wouldn't be anything to celebrate. Thank You.
  • I don't take Christ out of Christmas. When I'm typing I often use my own shortened versions of words, not to take a position, but to save time. Such shortened words for me include "incl, w/, w/o, exc, C'mas, T'giving, the kids' B'days, Thnx, rec'g, pkg, shpg, msge, eml, H'ween, etc," I also sign email messages as -D or DSL rather than Debbie. I make a point of making/sending Christmas cards as opposed to Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings. Your point is taken, but you made an inaccurate assumption.
  • Your point is also taken and I apologize for making you feel I made an inaccurate assumption that you were personally taking Christ out of Christmas. Thanks for the feedback, but I will stick with "Christmas", even if it takes a little longer to spell it.
  • The way I see it, there are two Christmas holidays. The secular one with Jolly St. Nick, presents under the tree, eggnog, mistle toe, shopping, snow, etc. Nothing wrong with that. I love every bit of it.

There is a second Christmas for Christians. Its a deeper experience. A celebration of the birth of the Savior of the world, the Prince of Peace.

I guess am not looking forward to another year of "happy holidays vs merry christmas". I dont expect Walmart to share my personal faith. Happy holidays is just fine.

In the immortal words of Ricky Bobby, "Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for this wonderful meal, my two beautiful son's, Walker and Texas Ranger, and my Red-Hot Smokin' Wife, Carley"
  • Artful response and thanks for your input. Being October 31st (any my sister's birthday) I hope everyone out there has a Happy Halloween!

-Debbie
  • When I first saw the subject line I had similar thoughts to "atainc". But, since most people substitute X for Christ in Christmas, I thought using the C was a better alternative for shorthand. Actually, when spelled Xmas, the X in the original Greek was a symbol for Christ. So that really is a proper usage, only most people don't realize that, they just perceive it as a plain 'ole X.

Paul's response was good. Christmas has become a secular holiday that actually begins in September with the advent of the store ads and ends Jan. 2nd when we return to work. There still exists a religious holiday called Christmas. One can choose to celebrate as they wish or even ignore it. Doesn't matter to me as long as I am allowed to celebrate it as I wish.
  • That movie was freakin' awesome! WHOOOOOOOO!
  • This year we are having a talent contest. We did this several years ago and each department did a skit, made up songs about the business or just sang Christmas Carols and it went over very well.
    Anyone that didn't want to participate didn't have too, but most everyone did.
  • "Paul's response was good" Ray A.

I am just documenting that Ray actually said that.
  • I merely said good, not great, fantastic, deeply theological, or illuminating. Just good. Have a nice day.
  • I think Ray is applying for the "forum curmudgeon" position that opened last year.
  • Paul's just jealous because he's too young to be a curmudgeon. It is all in good fun.
  • Can I be an apprentice curmudgeon? By the way, I shorten it to Xmudgeon or C'mudgeon. I hope you aren't offended Ray.
  • That puts this curmudgeon into a state of high dudgeon.
  • Holiday Party

December 1st
    TO: ALL EMPLOYEES
    I'm happy to inform you that the company Christmas Party will take place on December 23rd at Luigi's Open Pit Barbecue. There will be lots of spiked eggnog and a small band playing traditional carols...feel free to sing along. And don't be surprised if our CEO shows up dressed as Santa Claus to light the Christmas tree! Exchange of gifts among employees can be done at that time; however, no gift should be
    over $10.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Patty Lewis
    Human Resources Director

[NO OFFENSE INTENDED TO ANYONE AT ALL! But please, let the games begin.]
  • I have a "feeling" that this party is about to down hill in a hurry.....
  • Yep, there must be more to the story. OK, let's hear it.
  • "December 2nd
    In no way was yesterday's memo intended to exclude our Jewish employees. We recognize that Hanukkah is an important holiday that often coincides with Christmas (though unfortunately not this year).

However, from now on we're calling it our "Holiday Party." The same policy applies to employees who are celebrating Kwanzaa at this time. There will be no Christmas tree and no Christmas carols sung.

Happy Holidays to you and your family.
    Patty Lewis
    Human Resources Director

---------------------------------------------------------------------

December 3rd
    Regarding the anonymous note I received from a member of Alcoholics Anonymous requesting a non-drinking table, I'm happy to accommodate this request, but, don't forget, if I put a sign on the table that reads, "AA Only," you won't be anonymous anymore.

In addition, forget about the gifts exchange-- no gifts will be allowed since the union members feel that $10 is too much money.

Patty Lewis
    Human Resources Director

---------------------------------------------------------

December 7th

I've arranged for members of Overeaters Anonymous to sit farthest from the dessert buffet and pregnant women closest to the restrooms. Gays are allowed to sit with each other. Lesbians do not have to sit with the gay men; each will have their table. Yes, there will be a flower arrangement for the gay men's table.
    Happy now?

Patty Lewis
    Human Resources Director

------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 9th

People, people -- nothing sinister was intended by wanting our CEO to play Santa Claus! Even if the anagram of "Santa" does happen to be "Satan," there is no evil connotation to our own "little man in a red suit."

Patty Lewis
    Human Resources Director

December 10th

Vegetarians -- I've had it with you people!! We're going to hold this party at Luigi's Open Pit whether you
    like it or not, you can just sit at the table farthest from the "grill of death," as you put it, and you'll get salad bar only, including hydroponic tomatoes. But, you know, tomatoes have feelings, too. They scream when you slice them. I've heard them scream. I'm hearing them right now... Ha!

I hope you all have a rotten holiday! Drive drunk and die, you hear me?

The Bitch from Hell

December 14th

I'm sure I speak for all of us in wishing Patty Lewis a speedy recovery from her stress-related illness. I'll continue to forward your cards to her at the sanitarium. In the meantime, management has decided to cancel our Holiday Party and give everyone the afternoon of the 23rd off with full pay.

Happy Holidays!
    Terri Bishop
    Acting Human Resources Director"

In case anyone was wondering where I've been the last month or so... x:'(

• There you are Open1!! I was wondering where you went and why there weren’t any further posts from Pat Lewis. Hope you were okay and just busy or on vacation.
    You may note on the HR & Employment Law forum there was a topic started by WO from WA called Holiday Tree. If you haven’t read the links, please see it. After waiting awhile I added to her post “I hope I am not spoiling it by posting the emails but since it’s been a month and this fits in so well with Lori’s “Holiday Tree” situation, I will post a couple of the emails now and continue through next week.”

I noticed there are differences and a couple typos in my version (I just cut and pasted without editing) then saw Hanukkah spelled Chanukkah (gasp) x:'( I wonder why no one made any comments?? Anyway, it was kind of fun doing them on a daily basis but again I was surprised there were no comments. Also, my version had “The Shining” memo in mine. Wonder how many of the younger HR viewers will understand that one? x:-/ I was going to ask WO next week if it helped relieve the stress she was having about the Christmas Trees and also if she had seen the recent tree incident in the airport. Can’t remember, was it in NY?

Anyway, Open1, thanks for starting this. I think of Pat every year at this time but could not lay my hands on the version I had until your post; then I kept looking till I found it. Hope you and everyone has a wonderful Holiday Season. We are having our dinner today, then I will be visiting family tomorrow out of state and was going to post the final email in the Holiday Tree link on Monday.
  • Somehow I missed the original post - so my suggestions are probably not going to be useful to you until next year...

Our holiday party is during operating hours, since most of them are women with children and spouses at home, therefore quite busy at night. We meet them in the food court of a large mall.

The CEO (we call him "dad") hands everyone $50 cash.

The rules:
    - you have 2 1/2 hours to shop
    - you can shop only for yourself, not anyone else, no gift cards
    - try to spend it all
    - beware that you have to show everyone what you bought, so maybe avoid Fredericks of Hollywood, unless you are not shy x;-)

After shopping, we meet at a restaurant for lunch, and the VP helps everyone show, one person at a time, what they bought. Extra $20 bills are handed out as prizes: who spent exactly $50, who spent the most on one item, who bought the most items totalling $50, etc.

We've done this 5 years in a row, and have unanimous agreement not to change it.

This is getting long, so I'll post hte other idea separately.

• At my last employer, we all worked in the same building, couldn't leave for hours at a time, and couldn't leave entire departments unstaffed at any given time. This idea worked pretty well;
    - Department managers paired up and were in charge of setting up carnival-style booths
    - Each team had a budget and created a game that is holiday-themed
    - games were
    * ornament fishing
    * coin toss (in a holiday mug)
    * snowball "hoops" (basketball game)
    * marshmallow relay (like the egg-in-a-spoon race)
    * elf toss (toss velcro-covered elf toys at a felt target hung on the wall)
    - game prizes were inexpesive Dollar Store stuff.
    - another team was in charge of home-cooked food

The non-management staff came in small shifts to play games, eat, etc.

It's hard to please everyone, but this was (relatively) inexpensive, everyone could show off their creativity, and every staff member walked away with a small gift and at least a few prizes.