SHRM and a joke

Hi all

Last week we had our state SHRM convention here in Topeka. We had over 400 attendees (woo-hoo!). I was on the committee and am happy to say all went well.

We named our golf tournament this year. Our chapter president, Russ Blosser, from 2005 passed away in January. We named it after him, and it was a great success. I even went out and golfed with the group (shocking as that may sound) and found a 4-man scramble (even with only 3 team members) can be a lot of fun.

Anyway, we had a ton of great speakers (Michael Mercer, Hunter Lott, Johnny Taylor), but the last one (David Nastor) was great fun. Here is a joke he told:

I understand the sun is going to go out in about 6.5 BILLION years.

I guess that means they will have to finish I-70 in the dark.

Good luck and have fun!

Nae

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I get it.... I live about 7 miles south of I-70 myself.
    We have our boys convienced that if my some miralce they were to complete all the work on I-70 the the states do not own enough warehouse storage to place all of the orange barrels and assorted highway dividers that they own.
  • I get it too, and I've never even been on I-70.

The thing I love about this joke is that anyone can fill in their own local construction boondoggle. I could nominate the 4-way stop intersection three doors down from my house.
  • There is a local restaurant in town that is being remodeled and has had a sign that reads "Will re-open in 30 days!" since last June.
  • we are getting a new exit ramp on I-20 and they are hoping to have it finished before they start the whole new loop-de-loop interchange with another major highway in the same area. I call it "spaghetti junction." My commute to/from work in 2007 will be a nightmare.
  • Rt 17 has crossed NY since about the late 70s or early 80s. It was not built as part of the interstate system so it did not meet codes - there were intersections and in places the curves are too tight. Slowly NY has been upgrading the route to interstate standards, so in places where it meets code it is referred to as Rt. 86 (Old Rt 17). Same road different names depending on where you are at.

Speaking of highways, many states coordinate the exit numbers with the mile markers. So, exit 26 is at the 26 mile mark of the highway. NY refuses to do that - we number our exits in order, 1 to whatever. Maybe someday we'll catch up with the rest of the country.