FIFA World Cup Soccer

Having helped coached my daughter's soccer team for a few years, I have enjoyed watching some of the World Cup matches.

If you haven't watched any of the tournament, you really should. The world cup is just as global as the Olympics but not nearly as bloated and overhyped.

The athleticism is amazing. Its more art than sport. The fans are unlike any in all of sports. Listening to 60,000 rabid fans sing homage to their favorite team is incredible. The stadiums echo with the rise and fall of thousands of voices in unison until it sounds like something nature might produce.

The Brazilian fans are in a league by themselves. Soccer is life to them and they are fanatical about their team.

Yesterday, the US played a gritty match despite some outrageous calls by the referees and managed to tie Italy 1:1 and stay alive in the tournament.

Soccer also has its share of wild characters, bold personalities and bitter rivalries. The sheer intensity of each match is unparalleled. You would think that the very existence of these nations is at stake.

World cup games are generally low scoring affairs. However, if you can get past that, you will see some of the most acrobatic, breath-taking, unbelievable displays in all the world of sport.

Go USA!

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The World Cup games come into our home via satelite every evening. My husband is glued to the t.v. hour after hour until I make him shut it off so I can get to sleep.

Go USA!!!
  • I thought you didn't have a tv, or was it "cable"?

I'm a huge soccer fan and have a sore throat after Sat. USA game. Unfortunately I will not be able to watch the game Thursday. I think I'll sheild myself from the results and watch tape delay.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-19-06 AT 12:05PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I have been following the games online and watching the key matches on tape. My neighbor or sister in law lets me tape shows occassionally.

The highlight videos on the FIFA website are amazing.

Good luck shielding yourself from the game results on thursday. I have found that to be extremely difficult.

I was in self-imposed media exile on Sunday until I could watch the final round of the US Open but one of my friends blurted out "Can you believe what Mickleson did?" before I could stop him.

Its tricky avoiding internet, radio, tv, and any friends you have that are sports fans.

I'll be watching Thursdays game on tape as well.
  • I believe you could make the comment "Can you believe what Mickelson did?" every time he plays.

Life's valuable lesson at the US Open- EVERY PUTT COUNTS MONTY.
  • Yep. With the field backing up like they did, there are probably at least a half dozen guys second-guessing some of the decisions they made and how just one stroke might have made the difference between US OPEN winner and just another tour pro.

• I got to watch a lot of great World Cup action when I was sick for a couple of days, but unfortunately I got better. (:|

My TV doesn't get ABC, so I've watched a lot of the games on the Spanish network even though I barely know any Spanish. The announcers talk a mile a minute and are incredibly emotional so the games are a lot more exciting to watch. It sounds something like this:

Blah blah blahblahblah cabeza blah blahblahblah blahblah blah blahblah muy bueno! blah blahblahblah blah blahblahblah blahblah blah Inglaterra blah blahblahblah blahblah blah blahblahblah blahblah GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!
    :DD

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • You could probably turn the sound off and still enjoy the matches.

Are you going to be sick again on Thursday when the US takes on Ghana?
  • >Are you going to be sick again on Thursday when
    >the US takes on Ghana?

I would never (cough cough) do something (Achoo!) like that (sniff sniff). And it has nothing to do with the fact that my boss reads the Forum.

I thought I heard an announcer say there would be live video on the web, but I couldn't find it on the ESPN or FIFA websites - just a Gamecast with live stats and maybe audio.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Muy bueno, James. Eso es lo que dicen en cada juego. ;;)

• James - I checked out the webcast of the games. You would have to be a DIEHARD fan to watch the statistical webcast of a 1-0 2 hour game.

Vargas pass to Gonzalez
    Gonzales pass to Vargas
    Vargas to Venezeula
    Venezuala heads to Ortiz
    Ortiz back to Vargas
    Ruiz steals the ball and passes to Santiago
    Santiago back to Luis
    Luis dribbles past midfield.
    Luis back to Santiago

and so on... for 2 hours. I am going to either tape the game or come in to work late.

• ¡Soy Google alegre puedo traducir eso para mí, HRinNH ! x:D

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • xclap xclap Muy Bien, James.

I actually watched part of the Portugal vs Holland (I think) and it was exciting at the end. Portugal plays very dirty though. They go up against England next.
  • I had the pleasure of actually being 9 rows from the field during the World Cup in Dallas back in the early nineties when Korea played West Germany. That was the first time I had really been exposed to soccor in any form and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although I am not an avid fan, I have been watching some of the games and do get wrapped up in them.

I agree, there in nothing like being there during the games.
  • I think being an avid fan would depend on whether or not you can stay sitting quietly on the sofa throughout the entire game or if you have to be physically restrained by your SO when there's a goal. x:D

• Hey, Oregon State just won the College World Series! Go Beavers!

• HRinNH,

Sorry, but I accidently deleted your message. x:-8 I was so excited about yesterday's game that I went to hit the Reply button but hit the Delete button by mistake. #-o Yes, the game was that amazing.

Here's your message that I deleted:
    <
    <
    OH MY GOSH. I was checking e-mail yesterday and all of a sudden my husband lets out a loud, blood curdling scream from the living room that sounded something like...
    "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOALASO!!!!!"

Then about 2 minutes later he yelled again only an octive higher. I had to go and check on him to see if he hurt himself. The announcer said that they (the Germans) were chanting and screaming for 118 minutes but in 2 short minutes the whole country was silenced.

Cheryl C.

• Wow, Cheryl, I think that is the first post you have ever had deleted. Good job.
  • lol...had I known that James would get this excited over it, I would've held the note much longer xB-)

• Italy 5 France 3

Congrats to Italy! What a great world cup!